• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computer Specs?

Ponto

I am dealing with huge files with funky effects within CorelDraw and Photoshop to be used for vehicle wrap applications... the problem I am facing is the time needed for saving and redraws after file editing. I suspect my computer hardware is lacking in processing speed and I need to know what is necessary to improve performance... what is the consensus on computer specs for better performance???:banghead:

JP

TheProfessor

I am running windows XP 64 bit. Which allows me to use more of the 8 gigs of RAM I have on my system. CS3 (which i am running) wont really let you use more than 2 GB of RAM at once per program, but atleast I can run Illy, Indesign and Photoshop at the same time and they run as fast as each would separately on a 32 bit machine. of course I have just totally assumed you are running a windows based machine, which is probably not the case :)

Rhino

Talk to your local computer professional (not big box store). Tell them what you're trying to do with your computer and buy the best that you can afford..

Or call Casey @ Signburst.. Professional and knowledgeable..

hoppers

Would also help if you told us what you have currently for processor/memory/hard drive etc. More memory is usually the first and easiest - but that can only go so far if you have an older CPU.

Tell us what your working with though and I 2nd Signburst to quote you a computer for your needs. They get a lot of good press around here.

-Matt

Ponto

Thanks for all the help... had a look at Signburst....now its time to toss the numbers around... gulp!

JP

yukon

Professor, how do I get the 32 bit XP? I too cannot access all my RAM using 16 bit and I refuse to use Vista.

Thanks,
Yukon

trakers

These days you will want at least a dual-core processor. No Celerons or Semprons.

The workstation I use everyday runs XP Pro on a 6000+ Dual Core AMD with 4Gb of DDR2 RAM. It runs all the design and production software with lightning speed and also performs the bulk of our video production.

You should be able to get a custom built machine with those specs with a good sized hard drive (2 would be preferable. One for the OS and program installs and one for your data) and a nice video card for around a $1200-$1500.

If you want the machine to be rock-solid stable and to be compatible with most all software grab either XP Home or Pro while you still can to avoid the wrath of Vista.

"Professor, how do I get the 32 bit XP? I too cannot access all my RAM using 16 bit and I refuse to use Vista."

Dude, standard XP is 32-bit. There is also a 64-bit version of XP.

k2ds

Well, if you don't wanna goo Vista, there is always Leopard (or in a few months, Snow Leopard)!!

kev3232

Look around on the web, some designers are going under and letting go of equipment cheap. I picked up a G5 for a grand then added another 8GB of memory to bump it to 16GB. It had PS and AI already on it and a few other good programs.