• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Concrete Staining & layering

joeshaul

Our local ready mix concrete company has approached me about doing stenciling for concrete which he will then stain in different patterns. Curious if anyone has any experience/recommendations on this before we just go doing some random testing to see what holds down the best without allowing any seepage underneath. As a worst case scenario I'll probably use one of the thicker concrete vinyls like convex, but hoping a general purpose will work for his needs since he'll just be staining it then removing it.

He also mentioned doing a sort of 3d layering as well, which would require a much thicker material. In that instance I was thinking possibly using a sandblast mask from Hartco or the like where it'll have a decent thickness, but might also just use some acrylic cutouts and try to get them level.

Any recommendations would probably save some time!

rjssigns

We used to do floor stencils for epoxy paint with 4mil Comp-U-Cut. Stain is thinner though so not sure how well it would work.

Joe Crumley

Joe,

This is a wide open field with lots of creative options. I don't know your location but I'd search the internet under Concrete Staining. We've also sandblasted patterns around pools and stained them. It's good money and lots of fun.

Good luck.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

signage

Joe,

This is a wide open field with lots of creative options. I don't know your location but I'd search the internet under Concrete Staining. We've also sandblasted patterns around pools and stained them. It's good money and lots of fun.

Good luck.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com
I do not think sandblasting and lots of fun go together!:omg:

Joe Crumley

Brian,

Thanks for your input.

Some of us love screen printing, hand lettering, wraps, or laying down vinyl but it's dimensional work for us. Last week I caught myself laying down vinyl on a construction sign and I remembered why gave up vinyl.

Good luck with your work but not all of us enjoy the same things.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

signage

Joe,
I also like doing all types of sign, except for sandblasting, I would get someone else to do that part of it. Painting is fun, it's just all that unwanted sand in unspoken body crevices :(.

Joe Crumley

The smart money in this trade often outsources work. For example, we have a sign company who specializes in "On Location" blasting. Their major product is entrance signs on boulders for housing additions. With their mobile unit outfitted and ready to go they do beautiful work.

At our next dimensional workshop "Mr. Bills Signs" will be demonstrating their blasting process. However with a good shop blast cabinet you won't need to worry much about getting sand on your person.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

signage

Do you have a picture of the cabinet you used to go around those pools you did that you said was fun?
Yes cabinets do make the job much more pleasant.

Joe Crumley

Come on Brian,

Joe S obviously doesn't have the proper equipment or knowledge for this kind of work but neither did we when we started out. Outsourcing is the key. Both the blasting and staining can be acquired. I wouldn't discourage anyone from reaching out beyond their usual work. We should all be searching for better ways and interesting processes. For you, since you've made up your mind, perhaps you should continue what your doing.

Even now I'm considering entering the monument industry. Who knows, it's a potential for us. But it must be fun and profitable.

I must admit I love to visit work in progress. The heart of my business is design. That's what garners the work.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

joeshaul

Thanks for the input on the subject. My goal is mainly just to design and cut the patterns for my customer (the owner of the concrete company), the customer'll then do all the staining/layering/etc. He's the concrete expert, I gather he's subbed this type of work out enough that he thinks he can bring it in house and is familiar enough with his substrate since he's owned the concrete plant for longer than I've been in town for (over 10 years).