• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Connecting HP 310 directly to PC

deepblue

Question! This has never been an issue until today. If there a way to connect my 310 directly to the PC and bypass my network connection? Right now I have it running over my ATT modem connected to the PC. Well the internet went out today and I am not able to print until ATT comes out and fixes the faulty wire.

My dealer is telling me that there is no way to run that printer directly trough a USB connection. Is that true? I can't imagine that a company like HP would make their printer network connection only?

Thanks All!

bannertime

Just go buy a netgear multiport switch. Then plug your computer, printer, and anything else on the network into it. Plug the switch into the ATT modem. You'll be able to continue printing even when the ATT crap fails over and over. I'm sure you could plug directly into the computer, but that is just a temporary fix.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you are running windows 7 or later, connect the printer and computer together directly with any Ethernet cable. If your network is setup to have static IP addresses for the printer and computer, you should be good to go. If the printer and computer are both using DHCP (The router assigns IP addresses) you should try to print anyway but you may have to change the printer or computer IP address to get it to work.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide

deepblue

That will work and is a good way to setup your network for the future but you still need to figure out what kind of connection your HP is expecting. If the HP is expecting a router to give it an IP address, the switch by itself will not work. Does HP give you an option when it comes to setting up the IP address on the printer itself?

No, the printer gets an ip assigned from the router it doesn't give me an option on the printer interface to set my own ip.

dypinc

Is that the proxy settings? I can't imagine the 310 would be different. I'm not much of a network guy

It is buried down in the connectivity setting on the front panel, but it is far easier to get to it from it web page under the network tab but you have to have it connected to the network or computer and know its IP address.

It is Manual IP4 settings.

As for using a network switch you really should have router in the setup to assign/reserve IP address. Some routers have enough ports you may not need a switch if your needs are small. Then make sure your internet modem is not acting as a router.