• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Considering leasing UV printer. Need advice.

jddzigns

Aloha All,

I'm considering leasing a small UV printer. Here are my requirements...
  • Good image quality and adhesion on plywood
  • Don't need texture
  • Print area at least 24" on the longer side. At least 10" on the shorter side.
  • Service provided to Hawaii

Here are my questions...
  • What machine would you recommend?
  • What dealer would you recommend?
  • What is the estimated cost per square foot for ink assuming full coverage and no white base or texture?
  • What are other costs I need to watch out for?

Thanks for your help!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Adhesion to plywood....... are you referring to a flatbed printer ??

10" x 24" is rather small and is almost impossible to get costs when you're talking less than 2 square feet. I mean it can be done, but the finished product is gonna be more like a token, then a sign at those sizes. You'd be better off just offering the piece for $75 or just have a shop minimum or something.

If you don't have a large call for this product, it might be hard to finance it and back up statistics that really don't exist. If you are farming al otta of this out, use your costs from that. Costs can only go down once you bring it in-house.

jddzigns

Adhesion to plywood....... are you referring to a flatbed printer ??
Yes, small flatbed UV printer like the Logojet UV2400. Most UV printers are flatbed, right?

10" x 24" is rather small and is almost impossible to get costs when you're talking less than 2 square feet. I mean it can be done said:
Sorry, I don't understand why a cost per sq ft of ink can't be determined. Just an average cost or range would be fine. Some RIPs will figure it out for you.

To explain my size requirement: I make small souvenir signs so I can print a few at a time in a 10" x 24" area. I sell a lot of signs – enough that I think leasing or financing a printer will save me a good deal of money even when factoring in ink, waste, time, maintenance, etc.

If you don't have a large call for this product said:
Thanks for the advice. Have you ever bought or leased a machine? Do you know how much it would cost per month? Any hidden costs I'm not considering?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Never leased any equipment. Bought whatever we have, cash on the barrelhead. Other than mortgage payments, have no monthly payments other than utilities.

Sorry, I can't help with that one.