• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Considering the VS540

Gene@mpls

I am thinking I may sell my VP540 in favor of a VS. This machine has one
head as I understand? What head is that and what does it cost? Seems
having only one head would be an advantage in some ways (less alignments
to stray) but certainly more expensive. Does anyone know the track record
of these heads? I still have the original heads in the 4yo VP and it has been
a great printer. Any other comments from users- how does the machine
layout differ from other Roland printers. I assume the print speed is comparable
to the VP? The new $20k price is attractive, and we print a lot. Thanks Gene

Andrew O

Merchant Member
I was going to leave this thread to owners, since I'm clearly biased toward recommending you buy one. Since no one has jumped in, feel free to send me a PM and I'll be happy to get you any information you need. There will also be several around the floor in Vegas next week if you're there.

Robert M

Those heads

That head will cost you 2400.00 form Roland, around 1600.00 on the open market. They are nice heads and as you pointed out and easy to install. They are about 2 generations behind what Epson is currently making. Look at the specs but I believe they can do a smaller drop size then your current printer. Even with the new prices you should also look at the Mimaki CJV30-130. Similar price as the Roland but you get up to 16 carts of 440ml inks and the all important reversing auto take up.

kanini

Don't go with the metallic+white unless you already have a lot of jobs for it... Otherwise a great machine, wish I had one (I just run the SP540i but I've been demoed the VS). If you have a truckload of extra cash, consider the new soljet 4 perhaps? That one has reversing take up reel also and great speed...

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Don't go with the metallic+white unless you already have a lot of jobs for it... Otherwise a great machine, wish I had one (I just run the SP540i but I've been demoed the VS). If you have a truckload of extra cash, consider the new soljet 4 perhaps? That one has reversing take up reel also and great speed...

There's ways around the metallic/white "leak" issue, btw ;)

tomence

Get the Roland, it has newer printhead than the Mimaki. It prints beautiful, you won't be sorry.

Gene@mpls

Thanks for the replies so far- I have been doing research and it seems that
the VS uses the DX-6 head and most people like it. One head means only
one capping station as well. $1600 is not a deal breaker but it has to be
a Roland I am afraid... they have made me a *ton* of money and I am getting
to like Vworks finally. Thanks

tomence

Thanks for the replies so far- I have been doing research and it seems that
the VS uses the DX-6 head and most people like it. One head means only
one capping station as well. $1600 is not a deal breaker but it has to be
a Roland I am afraid... they have made me a *ton* of money and I am getting
to like Vworks finally. Thanks

What's $1600 if it breaks only once every 4-5 years?

H Racing

I have a vs540 worked perfect for 2 years then 4 months later the black print head is screwing up and will have to be replaced. I only run Roland inks and still have to replace print head.

hyperdrive

I owned the vs640..White and silver inks.. As Im sure you were told you have to want the inks or need them!!! They make beautiful prints!!! Im anal about quality and it satisfied me!!!
I miss that machine!!! I own the xr640 with the same ink set.. You wont go wrong with the vs series...

DRamm76

For the record, I love how everyone is so concerned with the cost of print heads (after market) blah blah blah. Do you know how many service calls we go on each month that are due to lack of maintenance? A LOT..I'd say 80-90%
I had a customer who bought an SP-300 (not the V) back in 2003..He just recently added on an SP-300i for some extra work. He got two new print heads for his older machine just simply because he was financing the new printer and wanted to roll the cost into the payment. He didnt even need the heads. He took such good care of that machine it wasnt even funny. The printer is your lifeblood of your business. Maintain it well and you wont be searching sign forums for after market print heads after the first 2 years.

H Racing

I never said anything about aftermarket and would clean my printer at least once a week most of the time twice a week. I would be glad to send you some pics to see if you could tell me what caused the black head to start misfiring the rest of the colors are perfect I have got price from my Roland dealer all I have ever used was oem parts.

Custom_Grafx

I had the VS640 double CMYK... for about 2 years... it's ok. Get it correctly profiled at 2, 4, 6 and 8 pass and you're laughing. 2 pass billboard for mesh banner used to FLY! 4 pass for basic quick stuff, 6 for most things, and 8 for better quality products gave me the best combination of qualities I needed in my shop. For the speed, the quality you get out of 6 pass is great, but you do need a custom made profile to get that quality from that setting.