• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Constant Head Misalignment - HP Latex 365

CSPrint

I recently purchased the HP Latex 365. I am having an issue with the printheads getting out of aligned after going through less than 1/3 of a roll of paper. Is this normal? My text and lines get really grainy and blurry.

For paper, I am using the Sihl 3686 TriSolv PrimeArt Paper. I am not getting any head strikes or anything. It just gets out of alignment on its own. Have anyone experienced this?

Also, does anyone else have issues with the take up reel skewing the media really far from side to side? HP just release a bulletin about this issue, it often causes my media to brush up on the heaters and smear the ink.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Commando

If they are getting out of line that fast, maybe the print heads need to be changed?
Are you sure its the take up reel doing that?

Printheads in HP Latex printers do not get out of alignment without a major event, such as a serious carriage strike.

More than likely, this has to do with the media advance, and the OMAS sensor rather than PH alignment. Are you seeing the issue on other classes of media beside paper, such as self-adhesive vinyl or banner PVC? The paper that you are running tends to deform in the curing tunnel toward the middle of the sheet, sort of like a tent pole. This can cause the OMAS to get bad images of the media moving through the print zone. Too much vacuum will also cause lateral movement through the printer.

Sihl 3686 isn't my favorite paper for that reason. I'd suggest running an HP Poster paper or Photo paper that has been designed for Latex Gen3 printers. Off the top of my head, HP Satin Poster Paper or HP Professional Photo Paper, or Sihl 3699 are three papers that I can recommend.

Joe House

If your take up is pulling to the side, that could cause the paper to lift up, maybe not enough for a head strike, but enough to throw off calibrations. Try printing a roll without using the take-up. If you still have problems at least you know the take up isn't causing them.
Check the dates and ml's through the print heads. Replace any that are out of warranty. Also, as Paul recommended use a paper that's meant for Latex. Once you've addressed all the variables that you can, if you can post a picture of your problem, that would go a long ways towards helping others figure out what your problem might be.

Good Luck

CSPrint

Thanks for the comments and insight about the media. I only use one media as I only make one product. :) So I have very little experience with other media. I do my calibration with an adhesive vinyl. I sell custom framed decor, so I just need a media that can be handled and not crease easy, but is also not very expensive. The heat is definitely causing issues with the media. I have had to turn down the temperature quite a bit but it still gets deformed. I have had this issue since I first started using the printer, so I could see it being just the media. I did have to turn up the vacuum to keep the media flat so that could be causing the lateral movement as mentioned. My printhead status plots seem to change each time I print them.

I will try out the paper you recommended and report back. Thanks again for your input. You guys are already 100x more helpful than my local rep.

Have you seen the bulletin HP released about the skewing issue? See attached file.

Attachments

• HP Latex 3xx and 5x0 Series - Telescoping, Media Skew, and Media Advance correction.pdf
    970.9 KB · Views: 531

MMPLarge Format

I have an HP Latex 360 and also have the issue of my material being pulled and skewed out of place into either direction. I have found that the blue end caps for the spindles do not clamp on to the spindle well enough to keep the roll from moving. I usually put a clamp down on the spindle to make sure my roll doesn't moving at all, which in return has kept it from skewing since.

greysquirrel

Are you using edge guards? Did they ever get bent from loading media while being out of position? If so, you must replace them. They cannot be bent back to shape. HP will replace under warranty. Your heads will scuff across them every pass and could throw your alignment off.

MMPLarge Format

I just place a clamp directly next to the spindle cap on the main spindle and the take up reel to ensure minimal moving of the roll.

Attachments

• IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 245