• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

continued computer crashing and solution

binki

Our fastest computer blue screened and then wouldn't start back up. It looked like the hard drive had failed. It has 2 HD's in it so I figured I would swap them out and reinstall windows for the 3rd time in a couple of months.

So I swap it out, put the master/slave jumper from one to the other and swap positions on the cable.

Start it up and get out my windows disk. Well, it starts up without a problem and loads windows. WTF? I shut down and restart several times and it is working. Go figure.

The best I can figure out is one of the cables had come loose after many years of running and heat expanding and contracting.

Oh well.

And, we added a new computer from Office Depot, Levono for about $400. They did have one at $299 but were sold out in all stores around here. I guess the back-to-school crowd snapped them all up. Anyway, I ask the guy at OD if it has a wireless network card in it. No, I am told so I add one to my purchase. Open the box yesterday and there is an antenna on the machine, :banghead:. I guess you don't need any qualifications at all to know what you are selling in these places. Now I have to wait 2 weeks go get a refund because I paid with a check.

And..... I also ordered a KVM switch from Monoprice.com. Selected overnight shipping on a Thursday morning. They are in Rancho Cucamonga, about 10 miles from us. A no brainer, right? Wrong. Nothing comes on Friday and now we are at the weekend. I contact them on Saturday and Overnight to them means 5 days, no delivery until Tuesday. That is the second and last time monoprice screws me. They have a lot of stuff at a good price but they just don't perform.

So I cancel that order and run down to Fryes in Anaheim and get one.

And, since I am in the neighborhood, I stop by this place for dinner http://www.slaters5050.com/home where they put bacon in everything! Even on a brownie (it was good!). Hamburgers and a couple of drinks for 4 comes to about $120 though. Holy cow! (and holy pig!)
"signature 50/50® (50% ground beef and 50% ground bacon)! "

Anyway, All the computer issues seem to be solved and I get to spend part of today moving software to the new box.

Last edited:

MakeMyGraphic

10 miles away??? I would have just driven over there and picked it up lol!!! I live in San Diego, placed my order early Thursday and got my cable early Friday :) that's a bummer to hear though.... and I didn't pay for expedited shipping or anything... :\

binki

Well taking an hour to drive over there, get it, and come back or spending that hour making money leads us to have things shipped, even if they are close by. In the end I got a nice dinner out of it so I am pretty happy right now.

signswi

You have master/slave jumpers on the HDs in you FASTEST computer!? Those things haven't been in regular use in a decade!

Also set up a true imaged backup already, swapping out a dead HD for a fresh HD should just be a recovery situation, not a reinstall everything and waste a million years situation.

SignBurst PCs

You have master/slave jumpers on the HDs in you FASTEST computer!? Those things haven't been in regular use in a decade!

Also set up a true imaged backup already, swapping out a dead HD for a fresh HD should just be a recovery situation, not a reinstall everything and waste a million years situation.

+1 on this. Not quite a decade, but close. And image backups are a big time-saver.