• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour Cut Digital Print on textured wall

Lauren-R

Stuff and Stuff
Have a client who wants digitally printed vinyl applied to a highly textured wall. I know that there are several great textured wall wrap vinyls out there but they want it to be contour cut so they dont have to cover the whole space (and pay that price for it)

Is this a bad idea to try and do? Will it ultimately fail in a few months time? Anyone tried this before? (The thinnest lettering is 0.75".)

Should it just be painted instead?

Suggestions or thoughts?

rjssigns

Champagne taste, beer budget. Want's a slick wall graphic and thinks by not covering the whole space is going to save money. Run away and fast. Highly textured? Strong pass, install would be a nightmare and doomed to failure from the onset.

If you have the skill paint it. If not sub it out and take your cut.

MikePro

still love contour-cut in certain applications, as opposed to full-field print....as you get to see the contrast between dead-matte wall and glossy/luster/satin graphics, kind of a cool visual effect.

that being said, I'd test a letter first.... Not knowing the wall, but the fact that you're discussing textured means its more than just an orange-peel/hand-rolled drywall. If its anything heavier than that, like brick or stucco, or whatever, my guess is that no matter how hard you try, "fingers" of the letters will wind-up on random high-spots and even if you attempt to thermoform, its still just teetering on the edge of the cliff.... waiting to jump off. your Letters will most likely bacon-collar over time. Not everywhere, not every letter, but the graphic as a whole will look beat-up.

show it to the client, explain why this could be a point of failure (if applicable), and discuss proper direction/re-direction. Never promise without confidence in end-result, rarely ends well.

Medina Signs

Old Member
Have a client who wants digitally printed vinyl applied to a highly textured wall. I know that there are several great textured wall wrap vinyls out there but they want it to be contour cut so they dont have to cover the whole space (and pay that price for it)

Is this a bad idea to try and do? Will it ultimately fail in a few months time? Anyone tried this before? (The thinnest lettering is 0.75".)

Should it just be painted instead?

Suggestions or thoughts?

It might blow the budget, but you could cut a pattern of the outline contour (with shape cut out) - have a drywall guy smooth out the area, repaint and then apply your print.