• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

contour cut vinyl started to curl overnight??

pure_media

I opened up the shop this morning to find that the logo I printed and contour cut yesterday has peeled around the edges. I printed on Tru-Stock White Gloss Cal Vinyl, 3.0 mil. from a Roland VP-540i. I printed the logos and cut right after, took the vinyl out 15 minutes later and layed it on our table to let cure.
I didn't notice anything yesterday before I left but saw these curls this morning. Any one have this problem? Any solutions? I have a feeling this wont be good once put onto a window for a client, the edges wont stick due to the exposure of the air.

Much help is appreciated! Thanks.

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 189
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 172

WrapperX

We see that problem when we do a quick print and cut and let it sit out too. Because we have noticed this, the only time we do a quick print and cut is when we are applying it right away. Like in your case, I would've waited until today, or whenever it was gonna be installed, to cut it and mask it. However, all is not lost. In my experience, the vinyl is still good and if you push the edges down and mask over them and apply them they should stick just fine.

TresL

are they laminated?
If not, they need to cure overnight before cutting.
or if they have a white border you can cut right after printing.

Mike_Koval

We see that problem when we do a quick print and cut and let it sit out too. Because we have noticed this, the only time we do a quick print and cut is when we are applying it right away. Like in your case, I would've waited until today, or whenever it was gonna be installed, to cut it and mask it. However, all is not lost. In my experience, the vinyl is still good and if you push the edges down and mask over them and apply them they should stick just fine.

i second this motion

tanneji

let it cure overnight before cutting. we had some do the exact same thing and that solved the problem. It's especially bad when they are full bleed and cut to the edges.

pure_media

Alright excellent thanks guys! The job is being scheduled for tomorrow. I did 4 copies, just in case we mess something up, so I'm going to do a test run on our window and see if the curl is still there on the window. The print is not laminated so I think we are going to do another print and let it cure for the day and do the contour cut later. This is my first time doing a job like this so hopefully all goes well.
Thanks again!

B Snyder

There is no reason to not bleed the art if you wait for the ink to cure before you cut it. I wouldn't send a decal out without laminating it though. Especially if I know it's going on a client's window that will be cleaned with more than just plain water.

Mosh

Anything with a bleed we print, let sit overnight then laminate and cut. Never had anything curle doing this. When we got our first printer we had this same problem, you need to lt it site before it is cut if you plan to cut throught the ink.