• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour cut window perf?

meltsner

Is it acceptable / appropriate to contour cut window perf, vs. covering the whole window? Pardon the ignorant / bit of a newbie question, I am just wondering of the possibilities of it to save time and labor, for a customer's logo that will only take up ~1/4 of the window. I have never really noticed any done like that before.....

Malkin

Doable in limited situations.
We have learned to always edge seal window perf, so if the design is too complex, it could be easier to make a general cut shape with a black background or just cover the whole thing.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
If you cut down on time and labour, you’re cutting down on what you can potentially charge the customer. Are you in the business of making money, or saving people money?

that said, fully believe contour cut window perf is a silly move. If they just want a small (1/4) logo, just either do cut vinyl or cover the whole window with perf.

bannertime

I've done it before on large, very simple shapes. Like circles, a big swoosh, and some cancer ribbon graphics. Anything thing besides a solid shape that's less 10sqft feet would be pointless.

meltsner

Thanks. Yes it will be only 2ish sqft. so I may go back with regular vinyl, how I can redo it but maintain thru visibility as best as possible....I did print/plot a sample of perf (nice contour border etc. so it looks neat) after the fact though and I do actually like it. Just my personal opinion :)

JulieS

We just had to do it for the first time...had to cut individual letters in a black perf vinyl that supposedly will look black in the daytime and white at night when backlit (I'm a little dubious), but anyway it helped a lot to laminate the vinyl first so the blade has a smooth surface to cut instead of a bumpy one to get snagged on. Experiment with blade pressure, of course, to get the best cut.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We just had to do it for the first time...had to cut individual letters in a black perf vinyl that supposedly will look black in the daytime and white at night when backlit (I'm a little dubious), but anyway it helped a lot to laminate the vinyl first so the blade has a smooth surface to cut instead of a bumpy one to get snagged on. Experiment with blade pressure, of course, to get the best cut.
You understand how that process works right? It whatever color during the day due to dyed vinyl surface, than when the backlighting illuminates the white light overpowers the color and shines white.

I have done a contour cut for window perf. the design was pretty basic and only covered some of the window. after I installed the graphics I edge taped to seal it all up and make sure it wouldnt lift. Its been up for almost a year now with no issues.