• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour cut with and without holes in Flexi?

SLagunaHillsArt

Hey all! New to the forum, this is my first post and I am in need of some serious help.

I am working at a new print shop and we are setting up a file to print/cut. We are using a HP Latex 365 printer and Graphtec FC8600 with Flexi 19.

In the past I've only had experience with a Roland wide format printer that was an all-in-one print and cut machine. To determine the cut line I just needed to have a specifically named spot color that the machine would recognize as the cut line. Since the print/cut is now separate I am making the contour cut in Flexi. I looked a lot online to figure out if I could do the same spot color method but did not find anything.

The issue is that for the logo we are using we need certain parts to cut the holes and certain parts to not cut holes. The file has been imported from Illustrator into Flexi. The image with the pink line shows where I would like to have Flexi mark the cut. The other images show what is actually going to cut (it is either too much or too little).

Please advise! If there are any work arounds or a different way I should be doing this instead. Much appreciated!

NutrishopCutExample.png

NutrishopNoHoles.png
NutrishopWithHoles.png

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Sometimes you have to separate your contour cut from the rest and delete any pieces you don't want to cut.

bannertime

You could use Illustrator if that's what you're comfortable with. Name the spot color the appropriate CutContour and export as EPS or PDF into Production Manager.

What's wrong with the middle graphic? It appears to be correct.

SLagunaHillsArt

You could use Illustrator if that's what you're comfortable with. Name the spot color the appropriate CutContour and export as EPS or PDF into Production Manager.

What's wrong with the middle graphic? It appears to be correct.

Wow, I think that solved it, thanks! I think everything looks set from my picture below. I'll probably do a test cut/print to make sure. I usually just import to Flexi and set the contour cut. This way is much easier.
PMCutContour.png

The middle picture would have been great but it didn't get some of the inside letters like the R,O,P in "Nutrishop".

bannertime

Wow, I think that solved it, thanks! I think everything looks set from my picture below. I'll probably do a test cut/print to make sure. I usually just import to Flexi and set the contour cut.

Good to hear. It's easy, but it can be finicky some times. Also, be sure to KEEP any file that you actually use for production in case you need to recut or reprint.

The middle picture would have been great but it didn't get some of the inside letters like the R,O,P in "Nutrishop".

Okay, that's what I though. That's solved by removing the compound and simply using white shapes/text over the black instead of cutting the text out. Edit: Or the exact opposite in your case. The white likely wasn't cut out, hard to tell without having the file in hand.

SLagunaHillsArt

Good to hear. It's easy, but it can be finicky some times. Also, be sure to KEEP any file that you actually use for production in case you need to recut or reprint.

Okay, that's what I though. That's solved by removing the compound and simply using white shapes/text over the black instead of cutting the text out. Edit: Or the exact opposite in your case. The white likely wasn't cut out, hard to tell without having the file in hand.

Will do, thanks so much for your help!

Kelsey Adams

I see that you already fixed your issue, but I am glad that I stumbled upon this thread as I am looking into importing directly into PM from Illustrator. I sometimes have the same issue you did, I normally make sure that it is all transparent and that fixes the issue with being able to contour cut in the holes.

BTW, nice clean design..

SLagunaHillsArt

I see that you already fixed your issue, but I am glad that I stumbled upon this thread as I am looking into importing directly into PM from Illustrator. I sometimes have the same issue you did, I normally make sure that it is all transparent and that fixes the issue with being able to contour cut in the holes.

BTW, nice clean design..

Hi Kelsey, I'm glad you were able to get some use from this post. I really couldn't find anything about importing a cut line from Illustrator into PM anywhere online. Thanks too! It was a nice, simple but clean design.