• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour Cutting Reflective

NEGD

I'm trying to contour cut a 9' run of 3M 680CR with 3M 8518 lam with our CG-FX 130 plotter. My problem is that it will start cutting in the correct position and then as it feeds through it begins to skew and will end in the incorrect position. I'm leaning towards a feed slippage problem and here's why:

1- The amount of skew is different each time
2- I watched it register the marks, always do all 4 before the cut, and it was perfect.
3- I did a 4' run without issue and it's only happening with the reflective

I was thinking that maybe the blade pressure was causing a drag on the vinyl and I'm not completely unconvinced even after readjusting the settings. BUT, reflective printed material is an expensive way to run "tests" so I'm hoping someone has a suggestion on something I might have missed.

:thankyou:

NEGD

How much does it end up being off by?

It's different each time.

Basically it's cutting some detail @ one end but the rest is a rectangular cut. It will cut one side of the rectangle perfect and then on the return trip be completely off.

NEGD

for added measure:

A few months back we had a similar issue with reflective, so we adjusted the pinch roller setting to high and haven't changed it since.

AND, I just ran 2- 10' runs of contour cut on 3M 180 with 3M 8518 lam and had no issues.

Kyle Blue

Hmm. I was going to tell you to check your pinch rollers and make sure there is no issue there. Let me think...

NEGD

I'd slow my speed down a ton. only run it at 10cm per sec. might help it not to slip

Did that too. Thanks for the suggestion...

My problem is that my predecessor apparently had no issues doing a run this size... I'm just printing and cutting a file that he had set up (no bleeds b/c of the size) so there's little room for error. And so far no luck.

My mind tells me it's one of 2 things: 1- the amount of pressure, b/c it's only happening with the thicker material OR 2- the blade is somehow causing it, b/c it's reading the marks perfect starting the cut and then going off

Mosh

Reflective is thick and hard to track. Can you just hand cut it???? If it is just one or two and easy shapes I would.

mustafade

I have the exact machine. Did you check in the setup to see if it was set for halfcut? If it is then the cut would be off.
This tip helped me out before. Worth checking into.

NEGD

Mosh- For this job we did end up hand cutting but I'd still like to find a solution if possible.

Mustafade- I'll look and let you know.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
My guess is the weight of the material.... it is slipping some because it is so heavy. When we had our CG-160FX and we do this with our current Summa as well. On very heavy or long things we either slow the cutter to a crawl and have even gone to the extent of pulling the cutter out into the floor area and putting tables in front and behind it so the material is not hanging to the floor on each side - usually only do the tables method with super stiff stuff like laminated with heavy polycarbonate.