• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contours in X5

Colin

In my old ScanVec Inspire software I was able to choose either a sharp or rounded contour outline (as shown). Can the rounded type be done in X5? It seems like the only option is sharp.

Attachments

• Outline.jpg
    Outline.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 82

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Set your "contour" using the round outline. Then press Ctrl-Shift-Q and you will now have a vector shape of your outline. Then weld a copy of your original shape to the vector outline.

Colin

Set your "contour" using the round outline. Then press Ctrl-Shift-Q and you will now have a vector shape of your outline. Then weld a copy of your original shape to the vector outline.

Yes, I was aware of that ability/method, but can the rounded contour be done with the "Contour" command (under the "Effects" menu)?

Using the method with the "Outline" as you've described requires a lot more steps & deleting to get the final desired result.

Attachments

• Outline 2.jpg
    Outline 2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 67

Mike F

not sure about X5, but in X4 the option in the Stroke dialog (where you choose how many points thick, etc.) that you're looking for is called "Corners".

Colin

not sure about X5, but in X4 the option in the Stroke dialog (where you choose how many points thick, etc.) that you're looking for is called "Corners".

No, that's not the method I'm talking about. I mean the "Contour" command, under the "Effects" menu.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you don't want to use a stroke to create the contours you can build your contour and then fillet the corners you want rounded.

wayne k
guam usa

oldgoatroper

Yes, I was aware of that ability/method, but can the rounded contour be done with the "Contour" command (under the "Effects" menu? Using the method with the "Outline" as you've described requires a lot more steps & deleting to get the final desired result.

No.

But I've come to realize that setting your Contour with the outline tool at first is way easier and quicker for the program and gives you much more flexibility re shape of nib and corner style, etc.

Once you hit Ctrl-Shift-Q, then copy/paste your original shape and then welding it to the (now) vector outline to fill it in (if necessary) really isn't that many steps at the end, especially for the amount of control it gives you at the beginning...

Joe Diaz

Here is what I do. There is a docker called "Fillet/Scallop/Chamfer". It's under "windows" -> "dockers". I leave that docker up on my screen because I use it a lot for all sorts of things.

Simply apply a fillet to your lettering or shape. It can even be a super small radius. THEN do your contour work. Presto rounded contours. The bad part is that you turn your text into curves when you do that. But personally, converting things to curves isn't usually a concern of mine.

Colin

If you don't want to use a stroke to create the contours you can build your contour and then fillet the corners you want rounded.

Thanks Wayne, but on a complex contour, this is even more time consuming than the "Outline" method. I fail to see why Corel couldn't add this option to the "Contour" command (which hasn't changed in a decade).

What do they do all year?

oldgoatroper

Here is what I do. There is a docker called "Fillet/Scallop/Chamfer". It's under "windows" -> "dockers". I leave that docker up on my screen because I use it a lot for all sorts of things.

Thanks, Joe -- I totally forgot that was there....

Simply apply a fillet to your lettering or shape. It can even be a super small radius. THEN do your contour work. Presto rounded contours. The bad part is that you turn your text into curves when you do that.

OR... you could apply the desired contour, break apart, then apply the fillet to the contour, leaving the text intact.