• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contra Vision Perforated Window Film

Melks

Anyone have experience printing this brand of perforated films with HP Latex? I often use 3M IJ 67 with success, but in an effort to save a few dollars I wanted to try a roll of Contra Vision - Campaign PErforated Window White Semi - Permanent 70/30 (for all inks). I like that it is 70/30 which will allow for a bit more printing surface vs the 3M IJ 67. It doesn't look like there are any printing profiles for this material in the database at the moment. Any advice appreciated.

Dan360

The generic HP one-view profile works well with maybe a couple minor tweaks. I used it to profile the stuff a few years ago, didn't need much adjustment and we've been running it since then, only switching to 3M recently.

We used the campaign for a bit but found the performance version a bit more to our liking.

Melks

The generic HP one-view profile works well with maybe a couple minor tweaks. I used it to profile the stuff a few years ago, didn't need much adjustment and we've been running it since then, only switching to 3M recently.

We used the campaign for a bit but found the performance version a bit more to our liking.
I am going to give the performance Contravision a go. I like the idea of using a cast perf and the 3M cast perf costs a small fortune per roll.
Wondering what techniques everyone uses for finishing commercial window perf edges.
- Primer 94
- trim and edge seal tape?

I always laminate and trim + edge seal on all perf jobs. Its amazing how much time it takes to trim and edge seal on very large jobs!

AGCharlotte

When I used ContraVision, I ran it with the generic HP window perf profile as well. The liner is heavy so you may need to run it forward a bit and keep tension on it so it doesn't buckle starting up.

Melks

Good to know. I think there is now a profile for the Contravision films in the HP substrate database.
I will have to let you all know how it goes when I get a chance to run some of this film. Suppliers are currently out of stock.

untitled

I have been using the Contravision Performance perf for a long time. I have never used the campaign version, just the 60/40 Performance and HD Performance. I still have some 10ft x 90in windows I did I think around 3 years ago still up and haven't start to lift at all, I had just checked them not long ago as I did some other work for the same client. Those were printed on a Roland VS-640.

I just did another job yesterday with the same material, except one window was with the 60/40 HD version. I thought I had more but only had enough for 1 of the 3 windows so I used the regular 60/40 for the other two windows. You couldn't really tell to much of a difference. I think the HD is better when you have smaller text, but that's about it. This job was printed on a HP 700 latex. I think I copied the 3M IJ40 profile and used that as there are no Contravision profiles.. I upped the vacuum pressure though as it did want to lift and had streaks when printing. This job I also tapped a leader sheet to reach the take up roller so it was attached and kept tension on it while printing, however I didn't have to do that on the previous job when I printed it.

I don't usually laminate perf unless it's going on a vehicle. The retail windows I have done I have never bothered edge sealing it either. The one thing I always do that seems to help though is cut the corners at a 45° angles about half an inch in. I'll leave the corner on the window, but it is usually the corner that lifts first and this helps stop that from happening.

Melks

I have been using the Contravision Performance perf for a long time. I have never used the campaign version, just the 60/40 Performance and HD Performance. I still have some 10ft x 90in windows I did I think around 3 years ago still up and haven't start to lift at all, I had just checked them not long ago as I did some other work for the same client. Those were printed on a Roland VS-640.

I just did another job yesterday with the same material, except one window was with the 60/40 HD version. I thought I had more but only had enough for 1 of the 3 windows so I used the regular 60/40 for the other two windows. You couldn't really tell to much of a difference. I think the HD is better when you have smaller text, but that's about it. This job was printed on a HP 700 latex. I think I copied the 3M IJ40 profile and used that as there are no Contravision profiles.. I upped the vacuum pressure though as it did want to lift and had streaks when printing. This job I also tapped a leader sheet to reach the take up roller so it was attached and kept tension on it while printing, however I didn't have to do that on the previous job when I printed it.

I don't usually laminate perf unless it's going on a vehicle. The retail windows I have done I have never bothered edge sealing it either. The one thing I always do that seems to help though is cut the corners at a 45° angles about half an inch in. I'll leave the corner on the window, but it is usually the corner that lifts first and this helps stop that from happening.
Thanks for all this input. I like the 45 degree cut on the corner technique - thanks for sharing! To this point I have always laminated perf, but I am looking forward to trying the contravision performance without lamination. I am curious as to how long it will last when printed on HP latex machines. I know alot of it is relative to the UV exposure and elements etc... and the client of course!

Melks

Finally managed to try out the Contravision perforated film. Happy with the results. I paired it with a 3M cast overlaminate and the overall look is great. My client wanted more coverage than the 3M IJ67 (60/40 pattern) we normally stock, so we went with the Contravision 70/30. One of the pros was the ability to apply to surface tempurates with a minimum of 5 degrees C (Contravision) instead of 10 degrees C (3M). Definitely more "tacky" than the 3M IJ67 perf. Great product and will be using this film moving forward.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 8.26.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 8.26.51 AM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 173