Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controltac vs. Scotchcal

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by ngates, Oct 9, 2012.

1. ngates

ngates New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    I am curious as to if someone could tell me the difference between 3M Controltac and 3M Scotchcal? I understand Controltac to be pressure activated, and Scotchal to be not be. If someone could elaborate that would be great.

Also, any input on the difference between 180Cv3 and 170Cv3 would be greatly appreciated. I currently use 180Cv3, but wondering about 170Cv3 for flat wraps.

Thanks for your help!

Tags:
  2. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Controltac you have to squeegie down before it will stick. If you just
    lay it in a sheet you can pick it back up pretty easy if you don't squeegie it.
    that make sence?

3. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    IE you can control the tac :thumb:

4. ngates

ngates New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    I see the difference in the adhesive to be pressure activated and pressure sensitive. I understand pressure activated, but define sensitive. I am not trying to be difficult. I have my idea of what this means, but want opinions of how others define pressure sensitive.

5. ngates

ngates New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Makes since. What brought me to ask is I have a sample roll of IJ170Cv3 and it looked just like 180Cv3. Just by my initial test of an 8"x8" square it did not seem to have any harder of an initial tack than 180. I know that is not really a sufficiant test. Once I get a chance I will be printing a larger piece to test.

You guys have confirmed what I thought.