• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Converting complex jpg into eps

Waynohiggy

Hi good people. Im new to all this printing stuff but Im looking for a way to convert a complex jpg of a racing motorcycle to an eps file so i can alter the size and print for the side of a customers van, wandered if any of you guys know a quick reliable way of doing this.. I have Corel Draw X5, signlab 10 and Roland versaworks

I use Inkscape, which is open source software, to convert jpeg images to vector and it works quite well. There are videos on Youtube that show how that process works. You might have to fiddle with the settings a few times to achieve the desired results, but I've done traces of photos and the eps file looks nearly identical to a photo-realistic image, even upon close examination.

2B

Corel has a built-in tracing function.
again depending on the complexity or how you need it, you will have to adjust the settings and/or clean up the converted file

The Vector Doctor does this service and has always been excellent

Here is an image of an original jpeg image with a lot of detail and below is the resulting eps file after I did an Inkscape bitmap trace in 36 colors.

Attachments

• Face 1.jpg
    Face 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 320

AKwrapguy

Hi good people. Im new to all this printing stuff but Im looking for a way to convert a complex jpg of a racing motorcycle to an eps file so i can alter the size and print for the side of a customers van, wandered if any of you guys know a quick reliable way of doing this.. I have Corel Draw X5, signlab 10 and Roland versaworks

Some times the auto trace will work but other times it's worthless. You might need to just draw it by hand. I know it's sucks but sometimes that's the only way to do it.

TXFB.INS

Here is an image of an original jpeg image with a lot of detail and below is the resulting eps file after I did an Inkscape bitmap trace in 36 colors.

I've heard of InkScape, but never tried it.
was that conversion example automated or did you manually recreate?

I've heard of InkScape, but never tried it.
was that conversion example automated or did you manually recreate?

That was an autotrace that I set to trace the image in 36 colors (You can trace in as few or as many colors as you wish. It took about 60 seconds after opening the jpeg file to do the autotrace and save to an EPS file.

shoresigns

What's the point of turning a photo into a vector? Did you recreate it in 36 colours of cut vinyl? If you were just printing it, there are much easier and better ways to enlarge the photo.

KMC

Graphic Artist
you are kidding right, if you dont know how to do it for your sign business hire a qualified graphic designer

What's the point of turning a photo into a vector? Did you recreate it in 36 colours of cut vinyl? If you were just printing it, there are much easier and better ways to enlarge the photo.

I did it just to show that something with as much detail as that photo can be perfectly traced into a vector with little loss of detail. That is, after all, what the OP asked for, no?

shoresigns

I did it just to show that something with as much detail as that photo can be perfectly traced into a vector with little loss of detail. That is, after all, what the OP asked for, no?
No, what I understood from the original post, was that they wanted to convert to vector so they could enlarge a photo for a vinyl wrap. As I said, there are better ways to do that, for instance bicubic resampling (Image > Image Size in Photoshop), which preserves the detail in the photo. Your example lost a ton of detail when converting to vector, as is usually the case unless you have a gazillion vector points.

equippaint

Ill second inkscapes autotrace works very well. I never got anything good out of corels except a trace to make a cutline then delete it. Cant beat doing it by hand though

Pippin Decals

Sending Pm to you

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

Just curious, how is one bitmap more or less complex than another? Pixels in a row. The same number of pixels, the same number of rows. What color each pixel might be is irrelevant to complexity.

When you say 'eps' you mean trace the image for a vector representation just so you can enlarge it? Sort of like changing a light bulb by latching onto the bulb and then turning the room. Just avail yourself of any of the legion of packages out there that do spline fit bitmap resizing. Some of them are probably free, some of them are not. PhotoZoom Pro is one of the latter but worth every nickel.

Waynohiggy

I use Inkscape, which is open source software, to convert jpeg images to vector and it works quite well. There are videos on Youtube that show how that process works. You might have to fiddle with the settings a few times to achieve the desired results, but I've done traces of photos and the eps file looks nearly identical to a photo-realistic image, even upon close examination.
Thanks for the info I will check it out

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Just curious, how is one bitmap more or less complex than another? Pixels in a row. The same number of pixels, the same number of rows. What color each pixel might be is irrelevant to complexity.

When you say 'eps' you mean trace the image for a vector representation just so you can enlarge it? Sort of like changing a light bulb by latching onto the bulb and then turning the room. Just avail yourself of any of the legion of packages out there that do spline fit bitmap resizing. Some of them are probably free, some of them are not. PhotoZoom Pro is one of the latter but worth every nickel.
Are these tools even needed any more? Years ago we used OnOne Perfect Resize, but stopped using it because Photoshop's "preserve details" image resizing does just as good of a job (from what I can tell) . The 2.0 in the latest CC does an even better job.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Andy_warp

Are these tools even needed any more? Years ago we used OnOne Perfect Resize, but stopped using it because Photoshop's "preserve details" image resizing does just as good of a job (from what I can tell) . The 2.0 in the latest CC does an even better job.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
...but you still have to have a decent image to start with! 1000% agree, preserve details 2.0 works better than any PS version!
It is REALLY powerful if you go from a raw image, or something that hasn't yet had compression introduced.

At the end of the day, if your source file is too small and a "smallest file size" jpeg you are hosed.