• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Converting raster image to vector for contour cutting

smhdesigns

Ok guys/gals, I'm opening the door for all your ridicule and sharp as a blade comments with this one....I am fairly new to the business so please keep that in mind. I'm trying to learn the knowledge so that someday I might be as knowledgeable as the "SIGN GODS" that answer questions here. When I purchased my equipment/software it was suppose to come with tech support and training and I got neither. I currently outsource all my 4/0 4/4 color prints as I only have a Anagraph AE-60E. SO let me get to the question at hand...

A customer sent me a file (PDF) that he wants printed and contour cut. The image is a raster and needs to be converted to vector. In the past I have used "Vector Magic" to send my artwork to and have it converted. But this job in particular has been a challenge. The file is very high quality but not to scale. When I scale the image to size and try to upload it tells me file is to large???? I tried using Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and scale it to size then flatten the image and save it using jpeg encoding to a smaller file. (I do know PS is only a raster based program)
But to no avail the file was still to large. Is it possible to use my Design Art Pro 3.5 to do this? Is there a tutorial somewhere for using my DA 3.5 somewhere so that I can learn ALL the functions it has available?

Let the games begin and open war on the newbie.....

Yours Truly,

Design Art 3.5 Challenge/Vector Art Challenged Newbie

CES020

I can't help you with that software, but The Vector Doctor on here does such a great job for such a reasonable cost, I'd highly recommend getting him to look at it. I think you'll be stunned at how reasonable he is. It makes tasks like this hardly worth even fooling with, in my opinion.

OldPaint

dont know the program you have....get something that everybody uses, you might get stuff done easier. get COREL DRAW X 3 to 6......as these have a good TRACE PROGRAM IN IT.
that is the process of converting bitmaps to VECTOR. there is none that do this PERFECTLY. most of the time when i do this i will take the BITMAP, make it as big as i can on an 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper.......print it, then lay tracing paper over it..SECURED so it dont move.....and redraw what i want as VECTOR. then scan that and with a lot of of tweeking.(node/line editing)i get what i want. so dont expect any program to do this BAM...here it is!!!!

smhdesigns

Thank you for that. That's pretty much what I do now.. i.e. print, trace, scan, repeat until i get each of the desired effects. Just seems there would be an easier/faster way to get it done. Being as this particular job requires 4/0 printing/shading this is not an "in-house" option. Thank you for all you speedy replies and helpful hints. I look forward to taking in the vast array of knowledge that this site and it's members have to offer. My hopes and aspirations are to one day leave my own mark on the sign industry. How that mark will be perceived is laid solely upon the one viewing my work at the time. As beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I try to be my own worst critic and never offer a customer something I would not want for myself.

Sign-on my friends

MikePro

there's no "easy-button", sorry to say. looks like you've got a firm grasp on the basics, and practice-practice-practice until you become that much more fluid in the process.

Snydo

I know some people are not real fond of Flexi but if you know how to tweek the bezier/enhanced curves/corners and make transparent features you can set up pretty complex contour in a few minutes. I believe Flexisign 7.x or greater has these features so you may be able to find a copy on ebay cheap, just make sure you get the dongle. Best of Luck.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
One does not convert a bitmap to a vector image. No one no how not ever. What happens is that the pertinent regions of the bitmap are traced or simply redrawn. There is no other way. Not in this universe.The bitmap must be re-created as a vector image. Period. If a vector image is converted to a bitmap all of the vector information is lost forever. It does not exist. It is implied by the bitmap but it is non-existent.

There are algorithms to attempt this and they are legion. But they do it in exactly the same way that you would do it. By interpolating perceived edges. With a decent resolution first generation bitmap with sufficient color differences defining edges they can be reasonably effective. If not then not.

But...do you really want to reproduce an entire bitmap as a vector image? In the vast majority cases the task is merely to define an outline around the entire bitmap. If the bitmap has a white or other monochromatic background this is reasonably simple, especially in Flexi. All you do is select the Bitmap->Transparency tool and select the background. By diddling the tolerance level you can get a pretty decent outline. Then all that is needed is to do Effects->Contour Cut and the contour path will be placed around the non-transparent area of the bitmap. You may or may not need to touch it up a bit, depending.

smhdesigns

One does not convert a bitmap to a vector image. No one no how not ever. What happens is that the pertinent regions of the bitmap are traced or simply redrawn. There is no other way. Not in this universe.The bitmap must be re-created as a vector image. Period. If a vector image is converted to a bitmap all of the vector information is lost forever. It does not exist. It is implied by the bitmap but it is non-existent.

There are algorithms to attempt this and they are legion. But they do it in exactly the same way that you would do it. By interpolating perceived edges. With a decent resolution first generation bitmap with sufficient color differences defining edges they can be reasonably effective. If not then not.

But...do you really want to reproduce an entire bitmap as a vector image? In the vast majority cases the task is merely to define an outline around the entire bitmap. If the bitmap has a white or other monochromatic background this is reasonably simple, especially in Flexi. All you do is select the Bitmap->Transparency tool and select the background. By diddling the tolerance level you can get a pretty decent outline. Then all that is needed is to do Effects->Contour Cut and the contour path will be placed around the non-transparent area of the bitmap. You may or may not need to touch it up a bit, depending.

This is spot on what I need done Bob... More or less my question is/was my DA program capable of doing so? And if so any pointers as to how? As I have stated, I received no training or support with the equipment. It has been all hands on/trail and error... More often then not errors were more in the beginning. But I know there are still many functions of the program that I simply do not know how to use and finding someone to "guide" me thru it much less educate me to the process has been extremely difficult in my area as no one seems to use this software/plotter. I stand behind my ANA 110% it is a true workhorse and "knock on wood" has never let me down. But after years in the business, I feel it's time for me to step into today's technology and learn the full content of my present arsonal :)

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
This is spot on what I need done Bob... More or less my question is/was my DA program capable of doing so? And if so any pointers as to how? As I have stated, I received no training or support with the equipment. It has been all hands on/trail and error... More often then not errors were more in the beginning. But I know there are still many functions of the program that I simply do not know how to use and finding someone to "guide" me thru it much less educate me to the process has been extremely difficult in my area as no one seems to use this software/plotter. I stand behind my ANA 110% it is a true workhorse and "knock on wood" has never let me down. But after years in the business, I feel it's time for me to step into today's technology and learn the full content of my present arsonal :)

I have no idea as to what Design Art Pro even is let alone of what it might or might not be capable. If it's a an Illustrator/Corel/etc-like package there no doubt is a way or two. If it is not then bog knows if you can or cannot...

Just concern yourself with dropping out the background and creating a path around what remains, however you end up doing it with the tools you have on hand.Be clever, think outside the box. There's a plethora of ways to come up with a proper outline. The vast majority of them start with making the background transparent but there also are some that do not. You now now what you want to do, all that's left is figuring out how to express it in whatever language [software] you have available to you.

garylyb

I've used http://www.excaliburcreations.com/ with success.

He's cheap, accurate fast

I have no idea as to what Design Art Pro even is let alone of what it might or might not be capable. If it's a an Illustrator/Corel/etc-like package there no doubt is a way or two. If it is not then bog knows if you can or cannot...

Just concern yourself with dropping out the background and creating a path around what remains, however you end up doing it with the tools you have on hand.Be clever, think outside the box. There's a plethora of ways to come up with a proper outline. The vast majority of them start with making the background transparent but there also are some that do not. You now now what you want to do, all that's left is figuring out how to express it in whatever language [software] you have available to you.

phototec

As others have mentioned, never heard of Design Art Pro, but also like others have mentioned, you should look into getting NEW software that is more commonly used in this industry, you can find older versions of Illustrator or Corel on ebay CHEAP, and both will do a better job for you using the AUTO TRACE feature.

I would bet money you are NOT going to find anyone here using Design Art Pro, I even searched YouTube for instructional videos -NOTHING!

If you are insistent on keep this rouge software, than CONTACT the company who made it and ask for access to training materials....

Remember you get what you pay for, buy cheap or FREE software and that's what you get, CHEAP software that is not supported.

:thumb:

[video=youtube;-3MmP5ieNoo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3MmP5ieNoo[/video]

Here is a Adobe Illustrator CS3 for $100 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adobe-Illus...mage_Video_Audio_Software&hash=item4d1a1e1bd4

smhdesigns

Great stuff guys and thank you all very much for sharing the links and videos.. I'm so glad I found this site, or this site found me. Hope I can return the favor and offer some good advice one day....

Sign On my friends

artbot

in photoshop

1 bump up the resolution and clean up (posterize, unsharp mask, bit of median) ...whatever
gets the edges clean.

2 black the image out (threshold if you want to get interior details)

3 color range - choose black

4 in "paths" docker choose drop down "make work path"

5 file - export - paths to illustrator

6 choose "work path", pick destination (this will be an AI file)

7 import AI into corel, clean up nodes and export to .dxf or whatever you need
from there.

Tizz

The Illustrator trace tool is great and helped me out many times.
With a job such as yours I personally would digitize a contour line (in vector) using illustrator with the pen tool and make this your CutContour line.
Then all you need to do is resize the image to the desired size and send through to VW.
There are tutorials on utube on digitizing with the pen tool (Illustrator) and it isn't that time consuming or difficult to learn.
Hope this helps.

Regards,

smhdesigns

Once again you all have come to the rescue and dazzled me with your intelectual sound advice... Or maybe it's my lack of???? Either way thanks again for all the info it has been very informative and helpful to say the least. Another member has handled this particular job for me, which btw was recommended by another member here. So this problem has been solved. With the time restraints I had to get it done ASAP, but with all this fruitful knowledge maybe I can do the next myself :) Atleast now I know what to play with in order to get the job done!!!

smhdesigns

in photoshop

1 bump up the resolution and clean up (posterize, unsharp mask, bit of median) ...whatever
gets the edges clean.

2 black the image out (threshold if you want to get interior details)

3 color range - choose black

4 in "paths" docker choose drop down "make work path"

5 file - export - paths to illustrator

6 choose "work path", pick destination (this will be an AI file)

7 import AI into corel, clean up nodes and export to .dxf or whatever you need
from there.

PRINTING THIS PAGE OUT AND ADDING IT TO MY ARSENAL!!!!!
Thanks ARTBOT

smhdesigns

As others have mentioned, never heard of Design Art Pro, but also like others have mentioned, you should look into getting NEW software that is more commonly used in this industry, you can find older versions of Illustrator or Corel on ebay CHEAP, and both will do a better job for you using the AUTO TRACE feature.

I would bet money you are NOT going to find anyone here using Design Art Pro, I even searched YouTube for instructional videos -NOTHING!

If you are insistent on keep this rouge software, than CONTACT the company who made it and ask for access to training materials....

Remember you get what you pay for, buy cheap or FREE software and that's what you get, CHEAP software that is not supported.

:thumb:

[video=youtube;-3MmP5ieNoo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3MmP5ieNoo[/video]

Here is a Adobe Illustrator CS3 for $100 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adobe-Illus...mage_Video_Audio_Software&hash=item4d1a1e1bd4

Now just to win this bidding war on ebay :banghead: