• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Converting t-shirt conveyor dryer to UV curing

csc

Hello all, It's been a long time since I did any screen printing. But now I want to get back in but don't have the room to add a UV conveyor dryer to do up to 24" wide UV printed signs. Has anyone heard or know of anyone converting their std. conveyor dryer to UV? I believe I have plenty of room in my dryer to install UV lamps, I just have to install proper ventilation. Thanks for your input.

Bill Modzel

It may be doable but it won't be inexpensive. I think I saw a convertible ad on maybe 15 years ago. I'd just google UV reactor manufacturers and go from there.

thewood

Aw, when I read the partial title of this thread I hoped it would be about converting a t-shirt conveyor to a pizza oven.

:thread

Mosh

Buying a used one will be cheaper, easier, and you know it is going to work. I have never owned a UV print system, but know people who have them. Neat stuff, who would think light can cure ink that fast.

csc

I know that that are used UV dryers out there but I don't have room to add another conveyor. I can easily remove the heater assembly off my t-shirt conveyor in under5 minutes.
That is why I question use of a UV unit to use on my existing t-shirt dryer. Thanks for the feedback.

G-Artist

UV lamps are an animal of a different breed.

Expensive and they require special handling...like never, ever, touch them without an ultra-clean gloved finger.

There are a few companies that can provide you with retrofit kits. You'd still need to invest in a UV Radiometer to get accurate measurements...not cheap.

I am not trying to hijack this thread but since UV is the topic I'd like to ask if anyone knows if sunlight, which contains the ENTIRE UV spectrum, is suitable for a full cure of UV ink printed material be it screen process printed or digital printed?

csc

Thanks for the reply, you know, you might have a point. If one can burn a screen using the sun, then why would it not be possible if properly timed, but then then once exposed to the sun I don't see how over exposing would be bad since they will be outdoors anyway. Just a thought. I once had sample uv inks and gave them away since I was not equiped to cure UV. I will ask around or even go to a commercial printer and see if he can spare a small amount to test.
Thanks