• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Convex Vinyl

timandmikki

Does anyone use the convex vinyl? I have an order for some football helmet decals and I am trying to figure the best way to make them. They are just the letter "C" and in white. I am worried the convex material is going to be to thick to cut. Just want to see if anyone else has tried it and how they liked it.

Salmoneye

I don't use it but I know that there are different thicknesses of convex and of the laminate. There are some guys on here that specialize in MX decals, I am sure they will have all the info.

TheSnowman

We've done baseball and football helmets, and always used 3651 w/ laminate, and have never heard of one not sticking.

Salmoneye

As well as the convex being known for it's adhesion to low energy plastics the laminate is supposed to be super resistant to abrasion. We have had 3651 not stick well to construction hardhats, prob makes a big difference if they are new or not.

timandmikki

What laminate are you guys using with the 3631? They gave me a sample of one they had before that was cut on 3M, laminated and cut with a border around it so the laminate is bigger than the graphic. Trying to figure the best way to make it, and I want it to stick because it will grow into business from more teams.

Drip Dry

I think you should stay with the convex since that is what's made for.
Depends on the size, but it also conforms easily to the curves as well.
I used it a few years ago, and I can't remember it being a problem to cut.

If your asking what laminate to use on Oracal 3651 , we use Oracal 210

Letterbox Mike

We cut Convex all the time, cuts just like any other vinyl, it's on the thick side so adjust your pressure accordingly, but it cuts and weeds great.

timandmikki

you guys that use the convex. do you think its neccessary to leave extra laminate around the design, or can I just laminate vinyl with the convex laminate and cut to size. Also do I have to use convex vinyl or can I use any vinyl with convex laminate?:thankyou:

we've used convex material and lam before a few times. the material is like any other material you may use in the way of printing/weeding/cutting etc. the adhesive is made for low energy plastics so will stick better to some stuff than regular material would.

the laminate comes in different thickness's and is great for protecting the print. you will need to adjust your blade pressure for sure if you are cutting the thicker stuff.....infact we use on the thicker stuff a 60 degree blade. we haven't left extra lam around the decal as it hasn't been needed for the jobs we've done it for, but it can be done and it maybe something you may want to do......however, we have had no instances were the graphic would need this.

Sign Works

I know that oracal is now making a competing product at a lower price point but I have not tried it.

Not sure about Oracal having a high tack vinyl but I've heard good things about the Arlon DPF8000 high tack inkjet media. I recently had a project for labeling several HDPE tanks so I got samples of the Convex high tack and the Arlon DPF8000, I decided to go with the Convex and was very pleased with the results and man does that stuff really stick. :thumb:

OK here you go, the Oracal is actually 3951HT. Use Oracal Media Reference Guides for Oracal media info.

http://www.oracal.com/products/_docs/qrg/QRG_solvent.pdf

Ooops, my bad, the 3105HT appears to be a newly released high tack calendered media not yet added to the Reference Guide.

http://www.oracal.com/products/product.asp?seriesID=252

Also, I used Oracal 290 laminate on the Convex vinyl, worked great and labels are still stuck like crazy to those plastic tanks.

Last edited:

Wheeler

What profiles are used with convex?, I have a Versacamm and printed with Generic 2 and it did not look so good. There website doesn't have any profiles for the vinyl.

I use Versaworks.

Sign Works

What profiles are used with convex?, I have a Versacamm and printed with Generic 2 and it did not look so good. There website doesn't have any profiles for the vinyl.

I use Versaworks.

I don't recall which profile I used with the Convex but I generally always use GCVP for calendered media and PGVP for cast media. Every time I've tried the generic profiles I've been unhappy with the results. You could try the MCVP profile since the Convex inkjet media is a matte finish but I'll bet the GCVP profile will do just fine.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Convex!

We cut Convex all the time, cuts just like any other vinyl, it's on the thick side so adjust your pressure accordingly, but it cuts and weeds great.

TimandMikki, you will NOT be disappointed with CONVEX. Since you are using a Roland GX24, you need the 60 degree blade and extend the blade in order to compensate for the additional material thickness. By all means, do your test cuts until you are happy with the cut. :thumb:

Wheeler

I don't recall which profile I used with the Convex but I generally always use GCVP for calendered media and PGVP for cast media. Every time I've tried the generic profiles I've been unhappy with the results. You could try the MCVP profile since the Convex inkjet media is a matte finish but I'll bet the GCVP profile will do just fine.

Thank you