• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

COPYRIGHT Logo prints...How is THIS possible?

wrapman jamz

Ok, I get the custom car thing. But this got my attention. I picked up the local "City Paper" (An entertainment guide type of a product - newsprint) and the majority of it is about this car club or car show circuit that has wraps with trademarked logos as the main theme.

The wraps are printed and installed by a few of Charleston's sign company's.
There are more Logos used other than the photos I've attached. Such as Disney, Transformers, Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario Bros, Pittsburg Steelers (NFL), The Pink Panther, Budweiser, Miller Lite, & Peanut Butter Crunch.

How does anyone get a "blanket release"? If the City Paper published these photos of trademarked material someone must have a release?

I have turned away more business that I have done....just because it's Trademarked. Did I miss something?

I'm sure someone on here knows how to get so many permissions for so many Logos and still be able to afford to sell them.....Hmmmm?

Attachments

• 100_5866.gif
    100_5866.gif
    164.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 100_5867.gif
    100_5867.gif
    166 KB · Views: 195
  • 100_5868.gif
    100_5868.gif
    87.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 100_5869.gif
    100_5869.gif
    151.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_5870.gif
    100_5870.gif
    169 KB · Views: 223

wrapman jamz

I thought that too. but so many companies? Liability issues? How much cereal or toys can that sell? Is is a "wise" marketing strategy? Could it become custom buy "Crunch" I want in. Anybody know how?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I'm sure that if you search hard and long enough you'll encounter the only other organism in the galaxy besides yourself that might be concerned about this.

MikePro

want to put my logo across your $20k+ vehicle?!?
"Go for it" is what i'd say... off the record, of course, so I could still follow up with legal action if I'm offended enough about the use of it.

I guarantee if someone did a Disney rip-off, they'd be all over it... regardless.

wrapman jamz

Hey GP! I haven't seen these either. but I don't attend the cars shows. Looks like my loss. :Oops:

I did see the Disney characters car. Have you had companies calling you to do sponsors ad on cars? Maybe that's what they're doing.

I'd like some of that action.:rock-n-roll:

anotherdog

Grey area.
If the vehicles are let out in public then the photos of the vehicles can be taken as "editorial" rather than copyrighted. the paper is safe.
The wrap company is in deep ####. Unless they or the client has a release from the owner of the logo they are open to action. The very least would be stripping the vinyl.

I wonder if you had a signed release from your client would that cover you?

Further to this I have seen how nasty the Disney copyright lawyers can be - truly lacking in dietry fibre

S

scarface

These are a dime a dozen around here. One company i contacted who i knew did them said that they aren't worried about copyright issues because it hasn't been a issue yet.

Cool concepts but hell if i would want to do them

dwt

A friend of mine had one of these guys try to pay him off with a roll of counterfeit 20's.
Donk must refer to the sound their heads make when they are getting stuffed into the patrol cars.

wrapman jamz

I see there are pictures all over the net! how are they doing this "legally"

I want in. There has to be someone on here who knows the contact info.

I think every sign shop should have a shot at this Niche.

Oh what a dream come true. :clapping:

gbarker

I see there are pictures all over the net! how are they doing this "legally"

I don't think is is legal. It's just that no one has called them out on it. As soon as one of these cars is in an accident or has special unwanted attention the companies will crack down on them. Advertising is expensive, this doesn't cost them a dime and they (company) have a legal out by saying it wasn't approved.

I had one of these guys come into my previous retail shop looking for "Arm and Hammer" stickers for his car.

Billct2

I had a couple inquiries about these. Turned them down for multiple reasons, not the least of which is the copyright issue. Just imagine that one of these guys is involved in a nasty accident (like hitting some little kid on a bike) and the picture is spread all over, "Tony the Tiger Runs Down Child"...nope, don't want to get that certified letter.

GP

Call me old fashioned yo, but I don't see how pimping fruity pebbles and cinnamon toast crunch strengthens ones street cred...

JESSE WALKER

want to put my logo across your $20k+ vehicle?!?
"Go for it" is what i'd say... off the record, of course, so I could still follow up with legal action if I'm offended enough about the use of it.

I guarantee if someone did a Disney rip-off, they'd be all over it... regardless.
There are a LOT of Disney theme'd donks. almost anything you can imagine has been done. I dont know who does them but i see it making its way to Texas.It started in Ga. I think. too risky for me.