• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Copyright violation means prison time.

G-Artist

Now I know in this instance the NFL is involved and they go for blood every time...but just the same it is an eye-opener.

Fake Super Bowl T-shirts lead to prison term

A federal judge sentenced Willie Smith to six months in federal prison for selling counterfeit Super Bowl T-shirts following the 2009 Super Bowl in Tampa.

In addition to the prison term, U.S. District Judge James S. Moody Jr. ordered Smith to forfeit T-shirts and screen-printing equipment, and to refrain from any employment related to the manufacture, production or sales of T-shirts, hats, uniforms or any clothing merchandise during his term of supervised release.

Entire article at:

http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tam...daily66.html?s=du&iana=e_du_pub&ed=2010-03-08

SqueeGee

Just read the article. Willie is also known as "Chill Will" so that actually changes everything for me. I wouldn't buy one from a "Chill Will".

hydo1

You might feel differently if your company had won the contract to print and distribute....legitimatly.

Let me clarify, I do think what Willie did was very wrong and I support the part where they fined him and shut him down. But jail time? Let's save jail for the dangerous criminals.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Let me clarify, I do think what Willie did was very wrong and I support the part where they fined him and shut him down. But jail time? Let's save jail for the dangerous criminals.

Yeah, I agree. He's not dangerous......... :banghead: I'll come to your house and take the clothes out of your closets, the food from your shelves and then hijack your mortgage and car payments [let alone take your car while I'm at it] and then intercept your insurance plan and just close you down, because I didn't kill anyone.... I just stole everything you owned, but no big deal...... you'll understand. :Sleeping:

hydo1

Yeah, I agree. He's not dangerous......... :banghead: I'll come to your house and take the clothes out of your closets, the food from your shelves and then hijack your mortgage and car payments [let alone take your car while I'm at it] and then intercept your insurance plan and just close you down, because I didn't kill anyone.... I just stole everything you owned, but no big deal...... you'll understand. :Sleeping:

When you put it that way I do see your point. If Willie ruined my business with his counterfeit shirt scam and I was out on the streets because of it, I would be happier if he was in jail.

cptcorn

adad
The difference here between this and printing off a decal is that he was producing these as counterfeits. When someone comes to your shop and wants a NFL decal, they know its not authentic NFL merchandise. What he was doing was selling the merchandise as authentic NFL gear. I believe this is why he got jail time.

Tim Aucoin

When you put it that way I do see your point. If Willie ruined my business with his counterfeit shirt scam and I was out on the streets because of it, I would be happier if he was in jail.

:thumb: Now, let's all remember this statement next time we "borrow" a buddies movie to copy, or loan a friend a CD to copy, etc... Because really, there is no difference when you put in those terms! Don't get me started on "borrowed" software!! :doh: No doubt Willie got what he deserved!

signmeup

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!

This isn't copyright violation it's counterfitting.

signage

:doh: You're absolutely correct! And just for the record, my pockets are still full of stones!

Does producing a video on you tube count, or did you get permission from the songs artist to reproduce it in you video:help:omg2: I hear the mounties coming better hide Tim:ROFLMAO: Jk

Last edited:

G-Artist

Counterfeiting does fall in the copyright and trademark realm.

If you or I get ripped off and hurt by that we are on our own and have to pay to access the court and pray for justice. And you know a call to the local/state/federal cops will fall on deaf ears. But if you are MS, the NFL, or anyone with lots of money to buy politicians then you get justice courtesy of the taxpayers.