• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel 9 vs Corel 12

thurstonracing

I have Corel Draw essentials which includes a stripped version of Corel Draw 9. A embroidery business in town just switched from Corel Draw 12 to X3 so I have the opportunity to buy Corel 12 from them. 1st of all, is it worth switching? What are the major differences I will notice (I have been having troubles importing newer .EPS which I think is due to outdated filters in 9?) will 12 fix that issue? I have been cutting directly from 9 and assume I should be able to operate the same way with 12? And finally, what do you guys feel would be a fair price for a used Corel 12?

Thanks in Advance!
Rob

R08

Or X4 which just gives you extra bragging rights.
( and a few little extra.... very few)

Joe Diaz

Corel 9 was a rock! One of my favorite Corels until X3
Corel 12 had more features, but wasn’t as stable.
X3 is the way to go though. Although, I haven’t had a chance to use X4 yet.

R08

From what i've seen X4 changed the look a bit, but not much else . . . !

I have X4 and X3 and when I'm on X3 I forget that it's X3 until I go to open an X4 file. I think that's BS though. It's corel's way of forcing others to upgrade.

There are some changes and a few nice features but I can't even remember what they are right now.

Oh yeah.... when you go through your font selection it changes it in your design on the fly (I'm not a fan of that but others love it)

Jillbeans

Three years ago I bought a used Corel 9 for $25.
I taught myself as I went.
Last summer I bought a new Corel 12 for about $60.
I like it a lot more than 9, but 9 wasn't bad.
I gave it to a friend, might as well spread the joy.
Love....Jill

thurstonracing

Thanks for all the input so far.

If i go to X3 what is the best way to do it, download the upgrade since I have 9 or buy the full version?

R08

Three years ago I bought a used Corel 9 for $25.

in 1989 I bought Corel 1.0 for just under $600
It came on about 10 floppys (when floppy disks where actually floppy) LOL

kage

I would also suggest x3 over 12. Also x4 has a way to upload to what the font easily for those unidentifiable fonts.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Historically Corel has included actual functional goodies in odd numbered releases and eyewash and pleasant screen arrangements in the even numbered releases. If you pass up all of the even releases you won't miss much. Get X3 which is Corel's way of saying '13' without saying '13' and then wait for X5, or 15.

OldPaint

Historically Corel has included actual functional goodies in odd numbered releases and eyewash and pleasant screen arrangements in the even numbered releases. If you pass up all of the even releases you won't miss much.
THAT IS SO MUCH HOGWASH. sorry bob. ive heard this story to many times and really none of it has bearing on what they do to update corel.
i started with COREL 3. on floppies. was a good stable program considering the computer power available at that time. i had a 386DX40, and it was the hot ticket)))))). if you had more then 4 MEGS OF RAM...you was badass. only scanner i could afford then was a HAND HELD, that you rolled over what you wanted to scan. COREL 3 hada good TRACE...in 4 THEY REMOVED IT!!!
so thers 1 against the old wifes tale.
COREL 4 was better then 3 in that it added a little more speed of operation, other then that and the loss of trace, it wasnt a big improvement on 3.
COREL 5, for me was BACKWARD MOVE on corels part. they leased the PLOTTER ENGINE/CODE/DRIVER to a company called EURO-CUT/CO-CUT for 2 years. goin to sign shows , this company big selling point for their software was, "euro-cut/co-cut WORKS SEEMLESSLY from inside corel." no wonder IT WAS CORELS CODE.
so for version 5 & 6 which i never used, since you could not cut direct from it.
COREL 7 WAS THE BIGGEST AND BEST REVAMP ever. and the last of the TRUE COREL PROGRAMS.
7 made the leap from a 30"x 30" workspace to a 150' x 150'. which made it a lot better for SIGNS & plotters, and they PUT THE CUTTER ABILITY BACK INTO IT. i stayed with 7 till about time 11 came out and i GOT 10!!!! another rock solid version.
COREL 8 was a mismash of COREL & XARA...a company that corel said they would help market, but instead corel took a lot of XARA CODE and from corel 8 has used them as upgrades to COREL.
9 had some problems with the text to path, and i never had it so i dont know if they ever fixed it.
i know it was FIXED with COREL 10 after 2 revisions, that was and is a rock solid version.
cant say anything bout 11, 12 never used em.
but X3 after its 2 revisions...IS ROCK SOLID.
i did the demo of X4, but dont see anytrhing eathshattering that i need.

New Guy

If you download it instead of ordering the box version, I don't think you get the manual, which includes all of the vector graphics and font samples. I use my "catalog" all the time for looking up stuff. I can't imagine not having it.

Just something to consider. You might be happy without it.

New Guy

I bought my copy of X3 from that site shortly after X3 came out. I was more than pleased with their service. I'd buy from them again (and will).

ChiknNutz

If nothing else and I mean nothing, the way X3 handles nodes over previous versions is monumental. Example, create an object then use the Interactive Contour tool, break it apart and notice the gazillion nodes it just created with a equally huge pile of itty-bitty straight lines. X3 has vastly improved on the way lines and nodes are created. Actually, this may have been improved in v12, but I know that v11 was still quite bad at it.