• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator?

Justin

Which do you use? Why?

Does one have something the other doesn't?

I'm really, really curious of this...

It really seems like it to me that Illustrator has a lot more features..

letterman7

A lot of the answers will probably be centered around what you were exposed to first. I have both Corel X5 and Illustrator C3. I only use the Illustrator on occasion when I get a .pdf or something that Corel has an issue with. I also use it to double check color specs. I grew up on Corel, ever since Corel 5.

MikePro

MAC + ADOBE for the WIN!
(imo but to each his own... honestly, PC/MAC or Adobe/Corel, they're both great products in the right hands)

Jim Doggett

I prefer working in CorelDRAW. But it's what I learned on. So of course it's a snap for me to use.

And it opens Illy files. So I'm good there.

So for me, Corel gets my vote.

Jim Doggett
SignWarehouse

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
And it opens Illy files. So I'm good there.

Jim Doggett
SignWarehouse

All Adobe files? I did not think corel could open newer ones. Will x5 open cs 5 files? I always thought it was a few steps behind in import

The big issue with opening AI files in corel is that some effects may get lost in the transition.

Better to have both if you can afford it

Jim Doggett

The Vector Doctor said:
All Adobe files? I did not think corel could open newer ones. Will x5 open cs 5 files? I always thought it was a few steps behind in import

The big issue with opening AI files in corel is that some effects may get lost in the transition.

Better to have both if you can afford it

Yeah. I think the EPS filter opens them, if a specific IA filter does not. At least I've never had an issue.

Typically it's CorelDRAW files that are a problem for other programs to open. At least in my experience.

But source matters. Ask a typical sign maker for a file and it's Corel, probably. Ask a designer and it's Adobe, probably. Ask a typical business and it's Illy or often a Word files you'll get. Maybe PDF, too.

So file handling is it's own ogre. But for the most part, Corel handles it, save some EPSs that only seem to parse in Adobe.

So both is nice. But again, for me, working in CorelDRAW is a breeze.

Jim Doggett
SignWarehouse

Justin

I was just curious really in a innocent way.. I know they have to be somewhat similar, but it just looks like Illustrator is more advanced, and has more features as per fact.

Is it a fact is has more features, or ?

I'm reading the other suggested thread now! I'm new here so I didn't know it was a ever occurring topic!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
"Is it a fact is has more features, or ?"

It is a fact that Illustrator is better than CorelDraw
It is also a fact that CorelDraw is better than Illustrator
It just depends on who is answering the question.....

wayne k
guam usa

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
"Is it a fact is has more features, or ?"

It is a fact that Illustrator is better than CorelDraw
It is also a fact that CorelDraw is better than Illustrator
It just depends on who is answering the question.....

wayne k
guam usa

It is a fact that the person behind the keyboard/mouse is the difference. Just look at youtube videos and there are artists who can create a masterpiece with MS Paint.

I believe the Corel Master at Signs101 is without a doubt Joe Diaz

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I'm not sure about Corel, but Illy is available as a 30 day free demo. Download it and get on Youtube and set about doing some of the tutorials. Lynda.com also has some (limited) tutorials in their free section.

I started out using CorelDraw 3, and then changed over to Adobe Illustrator 9 back in 2000 because the library got a special grant and had it loaded on one computer. I guess I got hooked on it. We're now running Illy CS5 and Photoshop CS5...and I really like them both.

On a further note, I also design a lot in AutoCAD and cut from SignLab. Illy, SL and ACAD all play together very nicely (mainly using .dxf, .dwg, .eps, and .ai files).

JB

CanuckSigns

They both can achieve the same end result, the difference is how you get there. AI is the design industry standard, so there is more information available via design forums and tutorials for Adobe products.
Having said that, I believe Adobe is changing how they handle licensing and upgrades, while i'm not completely up to date on it, I think the overwhelming opinion was negative.

I use Corel Draw x4, because it is the industry standard in the engraving industry (we started in engraving before signs) it's what i'm comfortable working with and i VERY rarely get sent a file that I can't open, and if I do, i just contact whoever sent it and ask for a downsaved version.