• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel Draw or Adobe which do you prefer?

vinylink0331

Question, I have just purchased FlexiSign 8.5, but I have heard from a lot of people that it would probably be helpful to add Adobe Illustrator. I have never used either Corel or Adobe so i don't really know the difference. I will be interested in the future in doing custom designs, shading, transparencies, etc. Do you guys know the difference between Corel and Adobe & which one do you prefer?

SignBurst PCs

I really like the Adobe Suite. It is (or is becoming) the industry standard in design. You will probably want, at least, Illustrator (vector) and Photoshop (raster).

dclet

It is (or is becoming) the industry standard in design

keep dreamin'

Corel does as good or better. Look at them both. If you're using flexi, Corel is a little closer to that then Ill. and you may pick it up a bit faster.

OneUpTenn

Corel worshipper here. I dislike Illy but probably cause I learned on Corel and well it just works for me.

weaselboogie

I really like the Adobe Suite. It is (or is becoming) the industry standard in design. You will probably want, at least, Illustrator (vector) and Photoshop (raster).

Adobe and Corel each have their foot in different aspects of the design industry.... Print, Apparel, Signage.... I don't forsee either one of them changing that too much. As far as photo manipulation, photoshop is probably top notch, vector-based is situational depending on each field.

cOrKinSA

I bought corel and when I loaded it, all creativity got sucked out of me. I saw it and went back to Flexi/Illustrator. Sad to because I really want to learn how to use it.

Rodi

I'm on a mac and Corel is very unstable, V 11, the last mac update. Illustrator is the standard for eps and pdf, so saving sending out proofing it is very reliable, while corel has some great features too, plus its price is far lower than CS3. Pick one, learn and fly.

iSign

In my opinion, several Adobe programs have become the industry standard computer graphics tools, quite some time ago, and the fact remains today. Illustrator and Photoshop being the two that term would apply most to.

Do youself a favor now vinylink... quit calling it Adobe. That's a sure sign of not being familiar about what you are speaking of, which is never good with customers. Adobe makes software, and several different types of software at that, so if you are talking about Illustrator, call it illustrator.

keep dreamin'

Corel does as good or better. Look at them both. If you're using flexi, Corel is a little closer to that then Ill. and you may pick it up a bit faster.

Corel very well may be "as good or better", but that has nothing to do with being the industry standard computer graphics program. Dclet is the one dreaming here. In a professional environment, you will be supplied with Illustrator files 50 to 1 times more than Corel files, and that is going to be true in any graphics field, and has been at any time in the last 15 years or more.

If you have the choice now, you may see some advantages in aligning yourself more with the standard file formats people will be supplying you, and expecting from you. If you already knew Corel, I would say stick with that because it is highly competitive as far as getting the job done.

R08

I agree that photoshop and illust. are the industry standard for whatever reason but I still use Corel... all the way.

oops... I mean CorelDRAW and Photopaint

MVIP

It all depends on what you are doing.

By Far Photoshop if designing for Digital.

CorelDraw if Making positives for Screenprinting.

Different tools for different jobs!

-Matt

dclet

In a professional environment

??? I generally get and give.eps files....and that is what should be supplied, regardless of what application it comes from.

I never expect .ai or .cdr and would never even consider handing out native format files.....a no no in the "professional environment".

to say Coreldraw or "adobe" is "the" standard is a misnomer.

R08

??? I generally get and give.eps files....and that is what should be supplied, regardless of what application it comes from.

I never expect .ai or .cdr and would never even consider handing out native format files.....a no no in the "professional environment".

to say Coreldraw or "adobe" is "the" standard is a misnomer.

Agree wholeheartedly in general except:

Adobe products are more widely recognized and accepted and 'percieved' to be the inductry standard in the graphics arena. To deny this is to have our heads in the sand.

However, it doen't mean that it IS better for everyone or every job... just that more people think it is.

Corel is cheap enough that everybody should have it in their arsenal of software.

You will find that all the major design firms use the Abobe products. As a signmaker, you will get a lot of bang for the buck out of Corel - which is its biggest advantage.

As a CorelDraw user (since v.2) I can honestly say that Illy and Photoshop have many true advantages. The most notable is color controls. Another advantage is the importing & exporting of EPS or PDF (which by the way is now becoming the industry standard over EPS). I have never ever experienced an issue exporting from Illy or Photoshop. I have experienced a multitude of problems in Corel - especially when importing/exporting those files.

Do not take what I just said as a Corel-bashing. It is not. I still use Corel and that is mainly that I feel the user interface is a bit more friendly, and I am just that much faster in CorelDraw. On the other hand, I DO regret that I did not start out with Illy because the learning curve is that much harder. Because of the "curve" I make it a point to work on files in Illy (when time allows).

If a person were only to use CorelDraw only for vector creation, with no concern about color, the CorelDraw would suffice and give you an image editor to boot (Photopaint). Briefly speaking of Photopaint, it is quite capable (even 3rd party filters work) but have having been burned by colors and quirky files in CorelDraw - I am cautious as to what I trust it to do.

SignBurst PCs

I didn't mean to put down Corel at all, if that is how it was taken.

My opinion is that Adobe's Creative Suite is the standard in the overall design arena. That doesn't mean that Corel isn't a good subsitute. I know several screenprinters and embroidery shops that would DIE without Corel. Corel seems to work well for many sign shops.

I like the performance advantages PS gives me and the fact that if I work with other facets of the design field, i.e. marketing firms, photographers, etc., we are using the same platform.