• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel X-5

Jim Hill

I was wondering if it is worth upgrading to the latest version of Corel

Looking for opinions on what's different in the versions since X-5

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

w2csa

I've upgraded every time from x3 to x7.
I' holding on though for upgrading to x8, x7 seems to be fine for now.X5 seemed good for me at the time so you might want to tay.
If you have windows 10 maybe a move to x8 might be good.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I've upgraded every time from x3 to x7.
I' holding on though for upgrading to x8, x7 seems to be fine for now.X5 seemed good for me at the time so you might want to tay.
If you have windows 10 maybe a move to x8 might be good.

I didn't like the switch from X7 to X8. I can't use the custom workspace I normally do when I import it.
The icons and such are way different and take a lot longer to adjust to I'm finding.

X5 - X7 worked just fine for me.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
There is good and bad with X8. I like the improved transparency effects, such as varying levels of transparency on gradient fills. That makes it slightly easier to deal with Adobe Illustrator generated artwork. PDF and SVG import functions have been improved (but are still not 100% perfect).

What I don't like: sluggish performance. CorelDRAW X8 runs quite a bit slower than X7. This is largely due to the new font management system. Even if you don't have a giant folder filled with thousands of fonts synced with this new tool it's still going to make X8 run about as fast as a slug crossing an ice skating rink. The latest version of Adobe Illustrator is no speed demon either, but at least I'm not stuck in a 20 second long wait just to open a X8 generated art file. The dudes up in Canada really need to do some bug fix work to solve these performance issues. I kept my previous X7 installation intact on my home notebook and X6 intact on my work desktop and find myself using those older versions more often because they're less frustrating.

And some of us wonder why we have to pay Adobe $50 per month for software. Might not have to do that if Adobe's rivals were more on the ball than this.

Warmoth

I do really like the idea of the "font playground" in X8. Problem is, I have too many fonts.... I'll never have time to categorize them all manually. Which sucks because I would say this is probably the selling point for upgrading.

Like Bobby H said, there are some upgraded effects that I appreciate as well, though they aren't ground breaking changes. I haven't noticed any performance problems as he describes (I have an SSD which could be the difference?).

I mostly upgraded because it's new and shiny. I like to keep up with this kind of stuff. Also, it will make transitioning to X9 smoother, and on and on. Whereas jumping from X5 to X9 for example, might be a bit overwhelming.

Pete Moss

Every upgrade usually carries mostly advantages along with more versatile file transfer from clients. I would upgrade having tried x7. Have not tried x8 yet. We have x6 and love it.