• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Coreldraw X8 Crashing At Launch Win10 Pro

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Is anyone else having problems lately with CorelDRAW X8? This morning I've tried launching the application numerous times and it keeps crashing while loading. The application was working just fine on Friday. I've restarted my PC a couple different times but am getting the same result. I'm not sure if uninstalling/reinstalling will help, but that looks like perhaps the next step. BTW, my PC is running Win 10 Pro.

I've tried to check the forum at http://community.coreldraw.com/ to see if there are any similar complaints. But the forum page won't load at all. It just keeps timing out. Is anyone else seeing that same issue?

It's kind of odd version X8 had only one maintenance patch since it was released last year. Now Corel wants $199 for a really paltry upgrade for CorelDRAW 2017 barely one year after X8 was released.

WildWestDesigns

Now Corel wants $199 for a really paltry upgrade for CorelDRAW 2017 barely one year after X8 was released.

I'm sorry I can't help with the issues as I don't run Corel, but I thought I would mention that based on the YouTube video that Corel put out for the 2017 version, the yearly release is the new planned release schedule.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Once I was able to finally get into the CorelDRAW community forum it turns out there is some kind of new bug causing the crash at launch. There is discussion of it in this thread, including a registry fix that allows CorelDRAW X8 to launch.
Coreldraw x8 has stopped working - CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X8 - CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X8 - CorelDRAW Community

After downloading the CDGS_fix.txt file, renaming it with the .reg suffix and applying it to the registry it should fix launch issues with CorelDRAW X8 and CorelDRAW 2017. The downside is you'll have to sign into your CorelDRAW account again when the program launches.

Last edited:

timgo

Graphics Designer
Is anyone else having problems lately with CorelDRAW X8? This morning I've tried launching the application numerous times and it keeps crashing while loading. The application was working just fine on Friday. I've restarted my PC a couple different times but am getting the same result. I'm not sure if uninstalling/reinstalling will help, but that looks like perhaps the next step. BTW, my PC is running Win 10 Pro.

I've tried to check the forum at CorelDRAW Community to see if there are any similar complaints. But the forum page won't load at all. It just keeps timing out. Is anyone else seeing that same issue?

It's kind of odd version X8 had only one maintenance patch since it was released last year. Now Corel wants $199 for a really paltry upgrade for CorelDRAW 2017 barely one year after X8 was released.

Install CorelDraw software again.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Reinstalling CorelDRAW X8 will not solve that problem. If you visit the discussion thread at the CorelDRAW community forum you'll see how others have tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. Running the registry hack the folks from Corel provided will solve the problem.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I'm having the same problem with Quick Books. An error message comes up asking for what I was doing to report the error to Intuit. If I fill it out and send it, the program shuts down. If I click on the QB window instead, I can use the program normally.

Last edited:

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer

I've tried to check the forum at CorelDRAW Community to see if there are any similar complaints. But the forum page won't load at all. It just keeps timing out. Is anyone else seeing that same issue?

My Corel crashes sometimes when I do a drag and drop copy operation. All I can do is hit Ctrl S a lot....

KSTrooper

Wrapper, designer, illustrator
I just upgraded to X8 last month. Haven't had any issues so far. I had X5 which was crashing all the time. Thanks for posting, I will keep an eye out for this.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Maybe it's just the computers I use, but I wish CorelDRAW X8 wasn't so laggy when launching, opening files and scrolling through the font menu. Sometimes I have to drag files into X8 from the Windows Explorer window because the program occasionally locks up when opening files in the file>open dialog box. Version X6 was the last version that worked pretty responsively in all aspects.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Well, my CorelDRAW X8 installation started crashing upon launch yet again this morning, rendering the previous registry fix worthless. Thankfully Corel posted a new "hot fix" patch (cdgs-hf1.exe) for both X8 and CDR 2017 on their website. Hopefully this solution will be more permanent.

Jim Hill

Because of problems I had running Windows 10 I switched back to Windows 8 and solved most of my problems.

I must admit some of my problems were not really Windows 10 problems but because it's new I could not find updates for my scanners and other equipment.
When I went shopping for a new scanner at Best Buy the salesman asked me which version of Windows I had and when I said 10 he told me that none of the scanners in the store were compatible with windows 10
When I did a little more research I found that many companies do not have updated drivers that will work with 10

I took the easy way out and went back to Windows 8 and now everything works fine again.
The moral to the story is it's not always easy when you decide to upgrade your software.

Jim

WildWestDesigns

I took the easy way out and went back to Windows 8 and now everything works fine again.
The moral to the story is it's not always easy when you decide to upgrade your software.

I've always subscribed to the theory that it isn't always best to be "bleeding edge" when dealing with "mission critical" applications, hardware etc. There are legitimate reasons why enterprise users (not necessarily Windows Enterprise users, but business (enterprise) users) do not migrate as soon as the normal home user would.

"Teething pain" is to be expected. I used to use an OS that would go EOL every 13 months on average (Fedora) and that's hell on a business.