• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

corner rounding and notching?

SIGNTIME

We have an arbor press for rounding corners but there is no avalible die to notch the corners. What do other shops use to notch the corners of signs say 3/4"-3" of radius that don't have routing tables? In the past I have used a hole saw but cant do it to a 4x8 sheet with the hole saw, and a jigsaw wouldn't give me a smooth cut.

J Hill Designs

better blade for your jigsaw. wrestling a 4x8 up to a band saw is no easy task...

edit: or a set of templates and a hand held router with a profile bit

CanuckSigns

make a few templates out of 1/4" thick MDF, and use a router with a flush cut bit to follow the pattern.

edit: jhill beat me to it

SIGNTIME

so you would put the template underneath? I was planning on have the welding shop next store burn out a few different templates on their cnc plasma cutter out of 1/4" steel ... would i be able to find this type of bit at lowes?

CanuckSigns

heres a video on youtube showing the general idea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5uL4hI4yK8

If you are dealing with larger sizes, I wouldn't use the router table, just the hand router.

Also, be careful making the templates out of steel, if something goes wrong, the steel will kill the bit very fast. aluminum may be a better choice

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
This...cuts up to 6" notches....
Yes we have cool tools.

EDIT: Just re-read....you were asking about rounded notches....my bad.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 62