• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Coroplast; Cutting irregular shapes

Escritar

Cutting rectangular or square signs in Coroplast is no problem, and irregular shapes aren't extremely difficult either, but is there a better tool to use than a scissors when cutting irregular shapes (curves, radiused corners, etc.) from Coroplast?

Jillbeans

I just use a cheap utility knife with snap-off blades.
Wouldn't scissors crush the flutes?
Love....Jill

tsgstl

If your doing a bunch jigsaw or route them. You can stack them together, don't go to fast they melt or is it don't go to slow haha

If your doing a very large amount get them die cut.

TheSnowman

I had a bunch of circles to do once for basketball, and a bunch of footballs for a football team. I found someone with a waterjet, and just gave him the blanks and he cut them all out for me. Worked out well. The ones that were lower in the pile got a little more jagged I assume cause the water wasn't as intense when it was cutting, but still looked good, just felt like razors on my hands after laying down 200 of them.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
In shops not equipped with exotic cutting tackle such as water jets, lasers, death rays, etc. and in descending order of desirability...

Cutawl: The definitive pattern cutting mechanism. You can pad the work to ~1" depending on the blade you're using.

Band saw: Next best but the speed of the blade tends to melt coroplast regardless of in-feed speed. You can pad the work up to 6" or more. The are limitations on the size of the work depending on the size of the band saw.

Jigsaw: Only if you have nothing else. It's possible to pad the work to maybe 1.5".

Knives, scissors, pointed sticks, etc. should only be used if you were to be washed up on some deserted island and that's all there was.

EricRamse

We have a request for 300 cut coroplast signs with a "pine tree" shape, basically an arrow with notches, you guys get the idea. We *could* print and route these, but it's sort of a PITA. Anyone have a source for a good vendor for custom cut coro?

OlsonSigns601

We have a request for 300 cut coroplast signs with a "pine tree" shape, basically an arrow with notches, you guys get the idea. We *could* print and route these, but it's sort of a PITA. Anyone have a source for a good vendor for custom cut coro?

We've outsourced stuff to a local water jet the setup fee was a little high but the overall cutting was pretty cheap.

If you went that route, you could probably have it cut out of 4x8 sheets and do several at a time.

If they are yard signs, just make sure the flutes are going the right way.

megacab

We can print/cut these for you no problem. Give me a shout with the specs.

/thread

Cdiesel is the man for this. He has done printed and contour cut coro for me a few times. they always turn out great with a fast turnaround.:thumb:

EricRamse

Thanks gang, I'm consulting the customer on changing the size to maximize the use of a 4'x8', their size is irregular.
@cdisel, I'll be in touch if I can talk some sense into this guy :p

CoachD

Needing to cut out two rectangles on 10mm coroplast signs. What is the best way to do this perfectly each time? In attachment the two red rectangles need to be cut out.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• Sign.pdf
    42.4 KB · Views: 63

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oldie, but goodie.

We do a lotta these. We have them all cut on a cnc machine. Usually do 20 or so at a time to make it more cost effective.