• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Coroplast for Sign Face

JJGraphics

I have a customer looking for a very temporary (few months) sign face for their outdoor street sign. The sign is visible from both directions of traffic (2 faces) and I considered making him some 4x8 sheets of coroplast for this job.

Has anyone ever done a sign face out of coroplast?

I know acrylic and backlit vinyl is the correct process for this, but they don't have the $$ and just need to get through a few months.

Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's never a few months. They will keep it in as long as possible..... and maybe even longer. Remember, you are wanting to put substrates in there, that might fit, but the cabinet was not built for it. Like mentioned, Cor-X will blow out and could actually cause a lotta harm if it sails across a parking lot. The ACM is gonna create holes from drilling, and if IT fell out, could cause quite a bit of harm, too.

If you had to, a bag sign would be best, but...... your costs will get up there anyway.

Someone will do it, but getting a permit for something which is not intended to be..... is a little hard to do.

JJGraphics

Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly 'like' the idea of this, I'm just doing my due diligence and asking the questions so I can come back with an intelligent sounding answer.

I hadn't considered ACM but that's a good idea. I appreciate the input from both of you!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Coro - $15/sheet
ACM - $50
Polycarb - $140

What are you charging to fabricate and install? The amount of the substrate is pretty minimal in the total job's price.

CalverleyDesign

President - The Calverley Group
Coro - $15/sheet
ACM - $50
Polycarb - $140

What are you charging to fabricate and install? The amount of the substrate is pretty minimal in the total job's price.

On another subject: I just upgraded my membership to Premium so I could take advantage of this forum more and wanted to know how can I find out about placing an advertisement on the member to member classified? Can someone direct me please?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
On another subject: I just upgraded my membership to Premium so I could take advantage of this forum more and wanted to know how can I find out about placing an advertisement on the member to member classified? Can someone direct me please?

Not to be mean, but start your own thread asking totally unrelated subjects. Please don't derail this guy's thread.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Using coroplast will come back to haunt you. The customer will no doubt hold you responsible if it gets torn up from weather or anything else. I used 10mm for a temp sign and would not do it again.

Andy D

Plus one for ACM,

The ACM is gonna create holes from drilling, and if IT fell out, could cause quite a bit of harm, too.
Gino, why do you think it would blow out? I see ACM doing as well or better than flat acrylic or poly.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Plus one for ACM,

Gino, why do you think it would blow out? I see ACM doing as well or better than flat acrylic or poly.

First of all, it weighs about double that of acrylic or poly, so an old sign cabinet which is already suffering from fatigue is not gonna like having something twice as heavy to support as it was originally meant to be. Second, most people will put screws through it.... weakening it even further.

What most people do not consider is simply this........ almost all things are made to certain specifications to meet code, just like all the codes most of you complain about to do an installation. However, when placed in a situation to win a bid, MOST people here and around the world will throw code out the window and say, this should work. They are only concerned about right now and not at all... down the road. That's when the oldtimers or people who know what's happening complain about the riff-raff in the business and cutting corners. In a million years, you would never build an electric sign cabinet to spec and then fit it with 3mm ACM faces. Never. It would not meet code. Besides, there are other ways to build a box if you want a solid panel in it and it ain't the way you'd build an electric sign cabinet.

Now, some idiot here is gonna say, yeah, but if you weld a support here and one there, it will give some substantial wind resistance and make it more secure. However, that idiot doesn't enter into his/her equation that they've just added more and more weight to a can which was supposed to hold some sorta plastic face,. but doubled that weight also. Now, the thing is grossly overweight and unsafe. BUT, that same idiot will walk away after getting paid his lesser amount for doing it wrong with NO concerns what will happen after said cheap-a$$ customer's sign gives way because the whole scenario was a total disaster..... because someone didn't have the balls to explain right from wrong.

citysignshop

Assuming it has NO faces now, another option to 'cheap out' would be to stretch heavy banner material over the box, hold in place with the current retainer.
In bold letters on the invoice: " temporary sign panel, not to code, no warranty express or implied" if you think that will help.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Assuming it has NO faces now, another option to 'cheap out' would be to stretch heavy banner material over the box, hold in place with the current retainer.
In bold letters on the invoice: " temporary sign panel, not to code, no warranty express or implied" if you think that will help.

While that sounds good, is it legal in your area to put up signs which don't meet code ?? How'd you ever get a permit to instal a nonconforming procedure ??

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

If I'm going to do something "Not to code" I will not acknowledge it in writing.... your insurance company would just love you for that.

Andy D

In a million years, you would never build an electric sign cabinet to spec and then fit it with 3mm ACM faces
I will defer to your knowledge, I know you have a lot more experience with outside installs than me, but I have seen & worked on plenty of cabinets that were made
the same as an electrical back-lit sign, sans the wiring and lighting, & they used slide in aluminum or composite aluminum panels... but you're right, it might not pass codes.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I will defer to your knowledge, I know you have a lot more experience with outside installs than me, but I have seen plenty & worked on plenty of cabinets that were made
the same as an electrical back-lit sign, sans the wiring and lighting, & they used slide in aluminum or composite aluminum panels... but you're right, it might not pass codes.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
First of all, it weighs about double that of acrylic or poly, so an old sign cabinet which is already suffering from fatigue is not gonna like having something twice as heavy to support as it was originally meant to be. Second, most people will put screws through it.... weakening it even further.

What most people do not consider is simply this........ almost all things are made to certain specifications to meet code, just like all the codes most of you complain about to do an installation. However, when placed in a situation to win a bid, MOST people here and around the world will throw code out the window and say, this should work. They are only concerned about right now and not at all... down the road. That's when the oldtimers or people who know what's happening complain about the riff-raff in the business and cutting corners. In a million years, you would never build an electric sign cabinet to spec and then fit it with 3mm ACM faces. Never. It would not meet code. Besides, there are other ways to build a box if you want a solid panel in it and it ain't the way you'd build an electric sign cabinet.

Now, some idiot here is gonna say, yeah, but if you weld a support here and one there, it will give some substantial wind resistance and make it more secure. However, that idiot doesn't enter into his/her equation that they've just added more and more weight to a can which was supposed to hold some sorta plastic face,. but doubled that weight also. Now, the thing is grossly overweight and unsafe. BUT, that same idiot will walk away after getting paid his lesser amount for doing it wrong with NO concerns what will happen after said cheap-a$$ customer's sign gives way because the whole scenario was a total disaster..... because someone didn't have the balls to explain right from wrong.
3mm ACM is 0.81lb per sf
3/16" acrylic is 1.07lb per sf
There is no reason ACM can't be used in a cabinet sign.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
3mm ACM is 0.81lb per sf
3/16" acrylic is 1.07lb per sf
There is no reason ACM can't be used in a cabinet sign.

That's what I was thinking... ACM is lighter than lexan faces. The only thing is lexan is stronger and wouldn't dent or bend like ACM could. If you have strong wind maybe it would cave in and hold that position whereas lexan would pop back to it's original shape

GAC05

Quit buggin' me

Gino, you can't get mil-spec duct tape in PA?

100mphtape-300x217.png

They don't call it
100 MILE AN HOUR TAPE
for nothing......

player

Many sign cabinets have frames. The frames hold the plexi / lexan faces in place with blocks / strips glued along the top and bottom. The sign is engineered to have the blocks on the top take the entire weight of the face. The bottom of the face does not rest on the bottom frame, but stays suspended about 1/4" off the bottom. The face hangs like a sheet held by the top. If you slide a sheet in without blocks you will have all of the weight sitting on the bottom frame, and no blocks to keep the face from being blown out of the frame. This is changing the structural engineering of the sign in a way it wasn't designed.

Last edited: