• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help correction of a small crease on phototex help

bigben

We print several rolls of phototex per month. We just did an install and I have one panel that have one 1/2in crease on the edge of a seam and like a 1/4in bubble on the bottom part of the panel. It wasn't there when I've applied the panel. I can sqeegee it down flat, but it still cumming up. I've never encounter that kind of problem with this material. With a regular vinyl, I would just heat it up a little and voilà. I don't want to reprint and reinstall the whole panel just for that.

So since this will be a permanent install, I was thinking to use maybe glue to hold everything there. I have opening for the 1/2 crease I could inject the glue and for the 1/4 bubble, make a small cut and inject the glue.

So my question is: Does using glue is a good solution? If yes, what brand/type should I use? If not, what are my other options?

Thanks. Ben.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Pull the phototex off the wall, wipe the wall down with alcohol TWICE. Reapply phototex. If the crease wont go away, use heat to make it happy again.

bigben

Pull the phototex off the wall, wipe the wall down with alcohol TWICE. Reapply phototex. If the crease wont go away, use heat to make it happy again.

The panel have overlaps and I would like to avoid to pull the material off. I'm really looking for a touch-up solution.

trik

We have used a 3m spray adhesive in the past to help with certain surface issues and never had a problem.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I don't think he meant pull the whole print off...just pull back the part with the bubble....and how does one get a bubble in it that won't go down? Never experienced that.

bigben

We have used a 3m spray adhesive in the past to help with certain surface issues and never had a problem.

In my case, the bulle/crease is too small to spray. I was thinking of a glue with a fine tip applicator.

I don't think he meant pull the whole print off...just pull back the part with the bubble....and how does one get a bubble in it that won't go down? Never experienced that.

I've never experienced that either. For the bubble part, it's near a power plug that we contour cut. So the removal and reapply could go wrong. I could make a small cut in the bubble and inject somekind of a glue. Since it's on the bottom of the design, cut cut won't show up very much I think.

I would like to find a plan A but my plan B it to take super glue with a fine tip.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Removal and reapply (or just partial R&R) shouldn't make any change, as phototex does NOT stretch.
I am betting that the bubble is from not installing it correctly or trying to stretch/bend it, when it wants to stay flat.

Actually, if it (the phototex) inst fixable by squeegeeing it down, there are probably more problems to come very soon, and it is usually best to just nip it in the bud now, by complete removal and proper cleaning, before you get multiple call backs or a frustrated customer... Post up a pic of the wall and/or problem areas.

What type of prep did you do to the wall before the initial install?

bigben

Removal and reapply (or just partial R&R) shouldn't make any change, as phototex does NOT stretch.
I am betting that the bubble is from not installing it correctly or trying to stretch/bend it, when it wants to stay flat.

Actually, if it (the phototex) inst fixable by squeegeeing it down, there are probably more problems to come very soon, and it is usually best to just nip it in the bud now, by complete removal and proper cleaning, before you get multiple call backs or a frustrated customer... Post up a pic of the wall and/or problem areas.

What type of prep did you do to the wall before the initial install?

It's not my first time I install this product. In fact, this project is a bit more than 7200sq/ft and on all of them I just have the problem on 1 panel. All the wall have been painted over 6 months ago with the same paint (that we pre tested in few area first) and we clean all the surface with alcohol before the install.

I will just go there tomorrow and use glue to put it down and we will see what happen.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
It's not my first time I install this product. In fact, this project is a bit more than 7200sq/ft and on all of them I just have the problem on 1 panel. All the wall have been painted over 6 months ago with the same paint (that we pre tested in few area first) and we clean all the surface with alcohol before the install.

I will just go there tomorrow and use glue to put it down and we will see what happen.

Glue could work but I would do a test on some scrap material before you try it on the panel.
Reason I say this - I had a small section of laminated IJ180c lifting on a wrap. Figuring Primer 94 is recommended for use on IJ, I shot a little into the space with a syringe.
Turns out 94 works fine if you let it dry before laying down the vinyl - if it touches the vinyl while wet (& too thick) it will turn the material to mush, curl it up and pretty much ruin the print.......

wayne k
guam usa