• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cost per running meter

solantis

Let say you need to make up a sign 1m x 1m (39 x 39 inches) and the material size that you purchase is 3m x 1.2m (118 x 47 inches) do you have a fixed rate per running meter or do you charge the client for the entire sheet?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If it's a material you normally have on hand then by the square whatever. If it's something you have to get then the whole sheet.

equippaint

Charge for the drop too, 39x48" since the 9" piece will end up in the trash but the 48x48 leftover is still usable. The metal shop we buy some stuff from charges more for partial sheets if they cut it from a whole. So if a 4x8 is $100, it will cost $75 for half of it. Then they sell the drop to someone else for $50.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
For me, if it is a common STOCK material I would charge for 1/2 the sheet. If it were a special order, full sheet and give them the extra if they want it. They paid for it, it is theirs. If not I might keep it. The more you do the more scraps/drops you have. Now you have to store them and who knows when you are going to use them.