• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cost Range in Tension Clips Between Distributors/Manufacturers

Mastermatt87

Lucky us,

We have now replaced 3 backlit flex faces and have not had to replace a single clip yet. That being said, I know it is only a matter of time before not knowing the price range from manufacturers/distributors for these little guys is going to bite me in the butt. Especially since we have 3 estimates for new flex faces that need to go out on Monday.

I'd like to ask if you guys have a collection off the top of your head of the different types and styles of the clips. And if so, do you happen to know a generalized cost related to each clip type? (For us, not retail value)

I know there are plastic clips and metal clips (we have only worked with the metal so far) and the price is probably a lot different between the two. I also know that SignComp has their own special tension systems and tool (we have the tool, we went ahead and bit that in the butt before it got us).

I've been told clips can cost between $3 - $9 from the distributor, and that some of the SignComp clips can cost close to $25 depending on where you're getting it from.

Are these pretty accurate numbers or is it too broad of a spectrum to budget the cost without knowing what type of clips will have to be used?
In an ideal world I would send an estimate and include in the memo "# of Clips, Price is based on the clip style and manufacturer, General Price Range per clip: $xyz" just as a heads up to the client about the anticipated cost.

I've been told to replace ALL the clips, every time. I've been told to only replace broken or damaged clips.
I'm sure this is more of an individualized/case by case decision, but what are some of your experiences, and what feedback can you give me?

I've also been told 3" - 6" and 10" - 12" spacing between clips. Why such a difference?

Any insight would be a great help!

CanuckSigns

The type of clip depends on what brand and style the frame system is. We did a signcomp tension banner frame a few years ago, the little plastic clips for that system cost around $1.00 each and you need to put them on every 3", so it adds up very quickly on larger banners.

We don't do a ton of these, but I think next time I will look into something like the banner grip system where the clips are reusable and the tension is set with a cordless drill. It would have saved us $70 each time we change our the banner in our case.