Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Countersink Drill bits

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by JBurton, Jan 15, 2019.

1. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Does anybody have a recommendation for countersink bit for aluminum. I used to have one that looks just like the harbor freight cheapies, but it lasted much longer. I want to say it was from a higher end tooling company, but can't recall their name...

Tags:
  2. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    I use a small, 1/4" diameter, countersink originally intended to be chucked up in a lathe. It has a small pilot and then the countersink. Most countersink bits are intended primarily for wood and tend to vibrate on metal usually leaving an octagonal hole. You want a single or two flute bit, not one that looks like a gear. Moreover you want to use a drill press with the down stop properly set. Trying to countersink metal with a hand drill is somewhat less than an ideal setup.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    We have gotten several with the pilot bit like you describe, but the one's we've been getting lately seem to be at or below high speed steel quality. I think I found the one I was missing, manufactured by England, but I think they stopped making these or got bought up. In any case this one appears to be HSCO, so I'm guessing cobalt?
    We typically predrill the pilot holes with a 1/8" bit, then follow it up with the countersinking bit, all with a corded drill. This is on our signgineer extrusion cabinet signs, so a drill press doesn't do so well on a 20' piece of extrusion (though if I had the volume, I'd probably rig up a pair of tables to do just that!)
    Can you say where you came upon your countersinker that's from a lathe?

4. Moze

Moze Precision Sign Services

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Norseman....available at Fastenal and similar.

5. nandor1

nandor1 New Member

Hi JBurton, the company that I use is Tools Today a great range of cutters they are US based and I am in Australia ripper range and fair prices

6. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    It was given to me ~50 years ago. If you go to the Fastenal web sit and search 'countersink bits' ir's the third one down.

7. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    As you probably know, Aluminum is a soft non-ferrous metal and even the inexpensive Harbor Freight bits will work very well, unless you get the variation meant for wood products. My personal tools are typically the top-shelf and off-limits to the hired help for good reason. Choose your tools based on needs and intended end user in order to maximize the "Bang vs. Buck". Just food for thought....

8. Evan Gillette

Evan Gillette Member

Dec 5, 2018
    MN
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Thanks for all the input guys! I got covered up and haven't followed up with the purchase, but will update when I do!
    My main fab guy I put above the rest, so I like to keep him happy with the better tools, but I definitely understand where you're coming from.