• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Covering large windows solid black?

mpn

We are well versed in covering windows with perf,solid trans vinyls & printed trans, but have never blocked/blacked out a storefront before. Client is requesting blackout and our concern is learning enough to do it properly. My main concern is with breaking the glass because of added heat after install.

Has anyone here done this before successfully? Any other options I might be able to suggest? Passing this one off to a commercial tinter is our last option.

Bigdawg

Just Me
That is a very valid concern. We had a large window break after we painted it with graphics (almost full coverage). The temp difference between the interior and exterior was enough that the window started cracking after about 2-3 weeks. This was paint, but I would worry about the same reaction with vinyl. I'm not sure I would want to be responsible.

mpn

That is a very valid concern. We had a large window break after we painted it with graphics (almost full coverage). The temp difference between the interior and exterior was enough that the window started cracking after about 2-3 weeks. This was paint, but I would worry about the same reaction with vinyl. I'm not sure I would want to be responsible.

Yeah, that's how I'm feeling too, but would like to get as much info as possible before accepting the job or passing it off.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Put a strip of double-sided tape along the top and bottom of all windows (on the inside obviously) and stretch a piece of black banner between those.

2B

depending on the window size, printed banners or colored PVC / corplast

applying vinyl to the glass runs a VERY strong risk of it cracking

mpn

I think the banner or pvc idea would be the way to go. If we get the job I'll post up the results and how we did it. Thanks for the ideas!:thumb:

Jed_Dess

3M reps

We had some 3M reps over at our shop in the recent few weeks and we got onto the subject of window decals (more with dusted crystal and such, other issues we were having in-house) and they did advise against the usage of any dark coloured vinyl being applied to window surfaces for breakage issues (in full size applications, thermal expansion and contraction proves to be an issue). I would also gravitate toward doing this work without adhering directly to the window itself as stated by some posters above. Good Luck :thumb:

We do auto/commercial/residential tint and use Llumar film. They have a calculator called Film-to-Glass where you input variables (elevation, shadows, thickness of glass, type of glass, etc.) and it gives you safe recommendations on what types of film to use. There is not a single type of glass that they recommend putting black out on, besides internal glass of course. Annealed, heat strengthened, tempered, single pane, double pane, triple pane, laminated, unlaminated, tinted, non-tinted...nothing that gets direct sunlight will withstand being blacked out. Frost or a light colored film would probably be ok depending on the glass, but I wouldn't do black unless they absolutely insist and sign a release waiver beforehand.

mpn

We do auto/commercial/residential tint and use Llumar film. They have a calculator called Film-to-Glass where you input variables (elevation, shadows, thickness of glass, type of glass, etc.) and it gives you safe recommendations on what types of film to use. There is not a single type of glass that they recommend putting black out on, besides internal glass of course. Annealed, heat strengthened, tempered, single pane, double pane, triple pane, laminated, unlaminated, tinted, non-tinted...nothing that gets direct sunlight will withstand being blacked out. Frost or a light colored film would probably be ok depending on the glass, but I wouldn't do black unless they absolutely insist and sign a release waiver beforehand.

Thanks for the info, it's appreciated. We are going to go with a black pvc 2nd surface with double sided tape. A release waiver sounds like a good idea with this job for sure.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Years ago we blacked out a huge storefront with paint. The master painter who was training me said you mask around the window with 2 inch tape to leave a clear border. It was over a year the next time I saw the place and none of the 10 or 12 plate windows cracked.

neil_se

Toughened glass won't have any problem with black vinyl, it'll handle almost 500 degrees F. I've only had problems with dark tint or vinyl on float glass if there's existing damaged to the glass (although you won't know if there's a crack or shell hidden behind the rubber/frame).

Dark tint and vinyl on laminated glass is no-go.

mpn

Update: We're going with black 3mm PVC sheet cut to fit and mounted 2nd surface. Any suggestions on a good double sided tape that is clear or maybe black? The majority of the windows are just under 4'w x 8'h. Shooting for low to no visibility from the viewing side of the glass.

letterman7

I'd stand that pvc away from the window a few inches. Other than the pvc itself warping from the heat, the transmitted (and held) heat next to the glass can induce a crack as well. Get some breathing space.

mpn

I'd stand that pvc away from the window a few inches. Other than the pvc itself warping from the heat, the transmitted (and held) heat next to the glass can induce a crack as well. Get some breathing space.

Went to the job after posting the thread and there is an overhang built into the building, so all the windows (North facing) are set back in the shade somewhat. Went at the hottest part of the day (1-ish) and the sun is already behind the building. Hanging the sheets without warping is my main concern at this point from weight or heat. I'm going to take a temp reading on the glass tomorrow while measuring.

The photo is typical of all the windows.

Attachments

• Window Job.jpg
    Window Job.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 140

ams

First time wrapping a window in black, I broke one because the vinyl was wrapped to the edges. Also I used a calendered vinyl. I've learned from that. You need to use Cast vinyl and keep 1/2" gap on all sides, don't cover the window all the way to the edges, you shouldn't have any problems.

letterman7

Dumb question... your client requested blockout. Does it have to be black? Couldn't you use an etched glass vinyl and allow some light in for them? It wouldn't put much, if any, additional stresses on the glass, you can't see through it and they get the bonus of some natural light.

mpn

Dumb question... your client requested blockout. Does it have to be black? Couldn't you use an etched glass vinyl and allow some light in for them? It wouldn't put much, if any, additional stresses on the glass, you can't see through it and they get the bonus of some natural light.

Yeah, it needs to be black to follow the store's theme.