Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid-19 scams already targeting sing shops

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by JBurton, Apr 2, 2020.

1. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Just got this emailed in from my websites form submission:
    My name is Eric Newman from NYC. I would like to order some Printed Banners and they got to do with the COVID-19 PANDEMIC. Am giving these out as Charity to help spread the news about it. But the order will be placed electronically. I want to know if this something you can do. I will be paying for the entire cost of the order through your online portal or over the phone any how you prefer. If this is something you can do please let me know so I can forward you details of my order.
    Thank you very much and hope to hear from you.

Googling his email address brought me to this: https://findwhocallsyou.com/3463603068?CallerInfo

Tags:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The Yanki & The Brit

The Yanki & The Brit The Yanki & The Brit Signs and Radio Show

Sep 3, 2014
    Texas
    I have been getting then for years.... I never knew anyone in business that spoke like this... that was my first clue... The wording always gives them away.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Is it a singing sign ??

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  4. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Anytime they ask for your "online portal" , it should be a cause for concern.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    How are these mass order banner scams even able to work? Does anyone actually fall for one of these things?

It has been at least a year or more since I last received an email from one of these scammers. Usually the person is asking for something like 200 or so banners with some odd message on it like "Jesus loves the children" or whatever. But the messages never contain anything that looks like real contact info, much less enough specifics to even put together a bid. The messages are simply very easy to ignore and delete.

6. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    I got one yesterday from the 'SBA' saying my grant had been approved. It had a file attached in a format I was not familiar with that the virus scanner said was a 'back door' (inspiring my lockpicking video link).
    Watch out for those backdoors.....

7. Ldireprophil

Ldireprophil Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Atlanta
    Yeah, the poor grammar, lack of proper punctuation, and words like “portal” are always a clear giveaway!

8. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    I really like the ones sent with a "RE:" in the subject line -as if these scammers are actually replying to something I wrote. Maybe one of my multiple personalities sent that message, asking to be scammed, when I didn't know about it! Nevertheless, those strange "RE:" messages are even easier to delete. No preview. Zero acknowledgement. Nothing. Just DELETE.

9. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I agree fully, but found this in an NPR article that sent shivers down my spine.
    Mnuchin rejected suggestions that some Americans might not receive checks for another several months, but he acknowledged that some people might need to upload their direct deposit or other information to a web portal in order to guide authorities on where to send it. Source:https://www.npr.org/2020/04/02/8239...old-briefing-amid-record-unemployment-numbers

All I can imagine is the millions of people that are chomping on phishing schemes as the days roll on. "Online portal, I heard that on the news, I want my money now!!!"

10. AMGearhart

AMGearhart Member

Jan 15, 2016
    NC
    I had one of those scammer contact me about a side business I was running. I was bored so I kept stringing them along. It was a Nigerian Scam type scheme. I got the check and showed it to my bank and we all had a good laugh. But I was a little disappointed when they wouldn't give me back the check. I had planned to frame it and keep enjoying the laugh. FWIW, they wanted to buy pepper spray and stun guns as gifts for a 50th wedding anniversary party. lol

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  11. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Holy hell, is everybody here just being very polite, or did nobody else catch that typo in the thread title?
    Oh wait, my bad, Gino caught it and I glazed right over it!

12. S11930

S11930 Member

Oct 14, 2010
    kensington, md
  13. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I saw it, but I do that all the time too. We make Sings!

14. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    He types with a lisp.

15. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Not about Nigerians targeting karaoke bars then?

16. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    :roflmao: if that's what you base it upon, then just about every member HERE, has the same qualifications. :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  17. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Tis my favorite part of the job. As long as the customer signs off, I'm not responsible for content!
    [​IMG]

18. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Yowsa..... you still didn't become a 'premium' subscriber. How come ??

19. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Honestly I was waiting for everything to return to normal or until I got so slow I had plenty of time for it! I get my frugality from my old man. Give me 3 weeks to ponder a $10 transaction!