• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Craft Fairs Update and Van Lettering

Arlo Kalon 2.0

2017 was my first year of my "hobby" business of selling smaller hand lettered interior decor signs at craft fairs. My largest take was a little over $500 in 6 hours one Saturday. It's definitely not a financially lucrative endeavor but is a fun weekend outing for my wife and I in our retirement.We get to meet lots of people and have become friends with other vendors.

I recently read an article about the resurgence of sign painting. It seems there are people who've finally realized there was a time when talent was required in this trade and they are willing to pay the prices uniquely and appropriately designed signs sell for. I bought a white cargo van for hauling my wares and displays to craft fairs. I got tired of always having to unload everything from a pickup truck. Now I just leave it in the van all the time for future trips to fairs.

I recently decided to get in on the hand lettering renaissance and started lettering the van with 1 Shot. I designed the layout with Steve Contreras' fonts exclusively. I am also a pinstriper and have lots of sheet metal real estate to stripe remaining. When the weather warms up enough to get that done is when I'll post pics. I have a shop building in my back yard at a new house out in the country. I am living out the glory days of sign painting once again. I still love getting in the zone while painting signs. I still experience quitting time always coming too soon just like in the beginning when I first fell in love with being able to do what 3 master sign painters taught me.

I've gotten custom sign orders at the craft fairs mainly. I have no idea how lucrative it will be going back to how signs were made prior to 1982. The nice thing now is I am financially comfortable enough in my retirement that I have no need to lower prices just to get work. I'll still eat and travel whether anybody pays my prices or not. I'm still hoping to realize a very old goal of passing on my knowledge to a young upstart someday. It used to be next to impossible to find a master painter willing to train you because they were creating their own competition. I have no concerns about that now. I want to teach someone how to do REAL signs, not the scrap fence board things so many people peddle nowadays with their Cricut stencil lettering. Those people hate it when I set up near them and buyers see firsthand the difference in our products. Who knew retirement was going to be so infinitely rewarding? Pics to come soon.

signage

It's good to hear you are doing well after all the issues you had a few years ago. Also good to see you are doing something you love under your terms. Can't wait to see what you will be doing. Take care.