• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Craigslist - Your Opinion

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I recently placed a couple of for sale ads on Craigslist which I had never tried before and I'm curious about what experiences others may have had. I tried Craigslist because both items were too big to ship so I was looking for locals that could pick up.

My experience generated just three responses. One was entirely too easy and I'm pretty sure was someone trying to scam me. One would not discuss their interest in the item until they could "verify" my cell phone number... which they were not able to do, and one seemed legit but never followed up on my reply accepting their slightly discounted offer.

Is Craigslist something you find useful or is it a waste of time?

Billct2

I find it useful, more for purchases than selling though. But I did use it to get rid of some boat anchor printers, a truck cap and a few other things. My wife recently tried it to sell some of her art, that was a waste of time. Nothing but scammers.

RaymondLoewy

Pretty fly for a Sign Guy
I have sold car rims, sub woofers, and guitars easily with CL before. I have also bought guitars and amps from it.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I second the FB Marketplace and the garage sale groups on FB. The only thing I tried listing on CL was an apartment for rent a couple times. I feel like I got higher quantity and better quality people on FB so I don't bother with CL anymore.

Saturn

Aging Member
I've purchased vehicles, rented apartments, rented office space, bought great used equipment all off CL. I live in a medium sized city.

Definitely more a "seller beware" situation than buyer. Use your head! If that doesn't work, always consult with the nieces/nephews/grandkids to vet things that look fishy... ;p

Stacey K

I like making signs
I've purchased vehicles, rented apartments, rented office space, bought great used equipment all off CL. I live in a medium sized city.

Definitely more a "seller beware" situation than buyer. Use your head! If that doesn't work, always consult with the nieces/nephews/grandkids to vet things that look fishy... ;p
You mean Facebook stalk? I do it all the time for vetting renters LOL

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If you're just getting scams and no real interest then no one wants what you're selling at the price you're selling for.

gnubler

Every person I've met from a Craigslist ad has turned out to be a royal PITA, or worse. It seems to attract the lower underbelly of society.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Sorry but this is the only thing I think of when someone says Craiglist...
upload_2021-3-26_9-13-14.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-26_9-12-45.jpeg
    upload_2021-3-26_9-12-45.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 74

chester215

Just call me Chester.
Another vote for FB marketplace, you will get the same variety of people.
You can always check out their profile before responding to them.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
fred,
while i have never sold anything on craigslist, i have bought over 100 times.
you obviously have to be careful of scammers, but you didn't just fall off the turnip truck,

what i do is use the check box for include nearby areas, and check everything.\
i am in new jersey, but have bought items as far away as connecticut, west virginia, massachusetts.
in fact one of my gerber hs15's came from olympia, wa
i found it by changing my search area from the dropdown, and pursuaded the seller to drop his item at the local ups store & provided him everything needed & had them pack it for shipping.

my point being, you may need to expand the selling area by duplicating your listing in adjacent areas.

i have done job postings & will attempt this with expanded area and inform you how it goes

craigslist in generally going to get you a lower price for the same item (remember ebay shows it to the whole country!)
so, i little extra effort on your part might be needed

netsol

Premium Subscriber
facebook for sale pages . Craigslist is dead and is nothing but waste of time.

the company generated $565 million in 2020, a 25% drop from 2019 and down from over $1 billion two years ago

dropping yes, but i wish i was dropping from $1 billion a year

i still use ebay, craigslist & offer up

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Doesn't Ebay own craigslist? I was always under the assumption that Ebay bought CL in it's prime to squash it since it was becoming a threat to the Ebay platform.