• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Crap substrate.....

blackicefx

Got a call to put some vinyl lettering or Gemini letters on an existing sign face. Problem is it's a sheet of glued 1"x8" boards stacked vertically end on end and then lacquered... There's pits where each knot in the boards are and there's pre-existing holes where old additions to the sign used to be. She is refusing to buy new substrates and wants to do either the vinyl or gemini letters. Prob is with the holes and variation in the surface, I believe vinyl is out and with the Gemini letters, some of the existing holes may interfere with the post on the letters for mounting. So my question is, can I just surface mount the letters with an adhesive and if so, what adhesive will bond permanently to laquer? If not, since the holes will create lifting of vinyl, what can I plug the holes and divots with without the plugs running out of the back side of the surface? The holes go through the face to the back, the sign is on standoff mounts.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Blackicefx

visual800

the pads are adjustable on the plastic letters. I would lightly scuff the laquered surface where the pads are going to hit and use silicone...DONE!

AUTO-FX

Indoor or outdoor?
If you dont have a nice surface, dont use vinyl. If it looks lousy, it will be a poor reflection of your work.
Can you maybe use wood filler and varnish the wood first?
As far as Gemini letters - good choice. Indoor, you could epoxy it with the pad mounts. Outdoor, You could stud mount, but use pads in the couple spots where you dont want to drill. Ask for a few pads with your order.

S

SignTech

Interior/Exterior?

Can you resurface boards with alumialite giving you a fresh surface? No wait lemme guess customer has a budget lol based on the lacquered boards ........ sound like a nightmare ...

Fill the holes with wood putty, sand, paint, Gemini letters with screw mounts, get a pattern call it a day ........ vinyl on wood looks like junk, junk in junk out ........ if the guy can afford Gemeni letters then at least convince him to resurface the fascia ......... good luck ............

Last edited by a moderator:

JS

move on

From the sound of things this customer sounds like a real cheap a**. Making money is nice but the headache you'll receive from this sounds like you should pass it up. How much extra will you need to charge her for filling in the holes with wood filler or any additional work so you can use the surface she already has. Cheaper to cover it with something. I guess she does not want to pay extra to fill the holes. Once the sign is up sound like she will complain it does not look right with all the old holes and perhaps not pay you. Tell her to take her cheap ass somewhere else to get the work done.

k.a.s.

Do they realize that a new sub-straight with vinyl would prolly be cheaper than Gemini letters installed on her boards?

That said id use Gemini letters, just use the stud/pad combo where you can and just pads other places. Just use a good adhesive on all of them, I use Dow Corning 732 its the best stuff ive ever used. Weld-On also makes some good stuff.

Kevin

Pat Whatley

Do they realize that a new sub-straight with vinyl would prolly be cheaper than Gemini letters installed on her boards?

Ditto. Give her a price for vinyl on a new panel or pad mounted Gemini letters on what she's got and let her pick from those two options. You know more about what can be done than the customer does....don't let her tell you your options, that's your job.

jwright350

If she wants cheap and fast....Digital print on 180c... slap it up and move on with life... no warranty. Don't let the customers tell you how to run your business.

Wes Phifer

I don't see any problem with a stud and pad mount and clear silicon. The pads adjust to irregular surfaces. Studs will help hold them in. You really might not even need the studs but it would be extra security.

These were just pad mounted with clear 100% silicon.

Attachments

• DSC01633 (Medium).JPG
    DSC01633 (Medium).JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 184

jfiscus

Rap Master
sheet of thin polymetal cut to size of the existing surface, apply new vinyl on that. stil lbe cheaper than gemini letters.

SignLogic

Good call, haha.

If she wants cheap and fast....Digital print on 180c... slap it up and move on with life... no warranty. Don't let the customers tell you how to run your business.

I'd probably walk away from the job though. Sometimes it's not worth the headaches.