• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Crashed hard drive

hatmanok

I have an old 80gig WD hard drive that crashed a couple years ago and I want to know if I can replace the circuit board on it and possible get the files off it. If so what numbers do I have to match on it? Thanks.

Techman

how did it crash?
You may get the files off without all that work. hook it up as a slave and use DOS commands to access the files. I do that procedure all the time. 95% of the time the files are fine and accessible.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Another trick that sometimes works - seriously - is putting it in the freezer for half an hour then plug it in and get the files. If the board is fried - replacing the board is hit and miss. Sometimes it does work - the board will need to be from the exact same model drive, and preferrably with the same revision/version level. The revision will be listed on the drives label.

hatmanok

How do I use dos commands to do this? I have put it into an external drive and the computer does not find it.

tcorn1965

Another trick that sometimes works - seriously - is putting it in the freezer for half an hour then plug it in and get the files. If the board is fried - replacing the board is hit and miss. Sometimes it does work - the board will need to be from the exact same model drive, and preferrably with the same revision/version level. The revision will be listed on the drives label.

The freeze does work...sometimes

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Pay to have the files recovered ... sometimes they need to take the drive apart to put the (spindle?) into a new housing since the arms on the hard drive can lock up or the board can crash. Had one a few years ago that had to have that happen to it. well worth the $200 for those files.

Techman

Step one
Slave that drive into a working computer.
Step two
if you are lucky you will be able to see that drive and even look into it. Often a drive only loses its boot sector which is not needed to see the files.

Transfer those files to new drive using copy command.

DOS
slave the drive.
Go into command prompt
do a CD\ to the drive
do a list command you will see those files,

That is about all there is to it. But you should study up a little and you will be enlightened.

signswi

If you can still access the drive use something like unstoppable copier http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29

Normal copy commands will fail when they hit the first damaged file, unstoppable copier keeps going, skipping the few files with damage.

If you can't access the drive try R-Studio, if that still doesn't see it run Spinrite on the drive first then try R-Studio again. If still nothing you can get into advanced stuff like using linux forensics tools but that's a bit beyond the scope of this thread.

If you think it's an electronics problem swapping the circuit board works but that's RARELY the problem. Mechanical parts fail way more frequently than electrical. Also freezer trick is LAST RESORT and doing so gives you only a one shot window before condensation forms on the platters and the thing is dead for good. Not recommended for newbies to hard drive recovery.