• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Creating a contour cut file

Pideas

I'm working a contour cut vinyl decal for a client. The decal will be installed onto a glass door. The logo with words is fairly basic; not too many difficult cuts. I'm using CorelDraw and printing on a HP Latex and cutting with a SummaCutter (Flexi Basic rip).

My question is, is there an easy way to create a cut line using CorelDraw X8? I've attached a sample logo similar to the vinyl decal project i'm working on. I always have problems creating a cut line especially for the orange and teal logo. Are there any easy ways or tricks to do this using CorelDraw?

Attachments

• sample logo.jpg
    sample logo.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 301

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
In illustrator I generally just do an offset path and do maybe -1.5mm so I give myself a little bleeds. Takes about 15 seconds. Text is easy enough.

CanuckSigns

In corel, grab the leaves and go Object>Shaping>Boundry this will create an outline around the leaves, then you can do a negative contour from that line to give you a bit of bleed.

Pideas

When it asks for the offset just put a - before any number
Maybe I'm doing this wrong. After creating the boundary outline, I go to Effects > Contour
There's no option to enter a negative number. Am I missing something?
Sorry, I don't use the Contour feature very often.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I’d refer back to Canuk’s post.

you’re basically selecting the part you want to create a cut line on, creating a line that’s slightly into your artwork (I.e bleeds) and using that as your cut line.

im not sure how familiar you are with creating cut files but as long as the cut line is a spot colour named CutContour your Rip should recognise that line as a cut line.

unclebun

In the Contour tool you can make contours To Center, Inside Contour, or Outside Contour. They are buttons you select before filling in the numbers.

You should become familiar with the Contour tool. It's the best way to create outlines, and also part of creating relief shadows. Once you've gotten the contour to the distance that looks good, break the contour apart so you can handle it as a separate object from the original lettering/object.

Pideas

Ok, I got it. It's actually the offset is actually a positive number and not a negative number. Thanks for all the help.

The default offset starts at 0.001". Every time i would input 1, it would say the offset is too large. Going from 0.001" to 0.011" did the trick.