• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Creating Borders to Cut in Flexi 10?

David40

I seem to be having a time of it creating borders to cut and I could use some advice.
Flexi has an Advanced Border Tool that has a group of premade borders but they are not always the shape I need especially if it's a simple rectangle with rounded corners that I can specify the corner radius. If I create a regular rectangle, specify No Fill and make the border line thick, say 1/4" wide, if I go to cut it the cutter just cuts the center line and not the outer edges which would create a nice border. Is there a way to make it cut the edges of a thick line? Also with the Advanced Border Tool it has an ADD button, but I have not been able to discover how to add a new border, modify an exiting border, or find other borders to to add.

Would appreciate any help

Thanks

ova

I think you can choose the border you want and convert it outlines.

Go to arrange and select compound. Now you should be able to put a contour cut on the object. [border] Be sure that you have "with holes" selected in the Design Central box.

One day when things were slow here, I made numerous templates of borders for the most common size aluminum signs we sell. Now when I need one, I just go to my Templates Folder.

Dave

David40

Thanks guys, I'll need to explore those ideas.

I figured it out. While none of the suggestions above produced the results I was looking for, it got me to experiment with other options. I discovered that if I make a shape, like a rectangle, specify No Fill and increase the line thickness and prefered corner radius, all I have to do is select the object and do an Arrange, Convert Stroke to Outline. When sent to the cutter this cuts the inside and outside boarders of the line. Fantastic!

Now all I need to do is figure out how to get it to cut weed lines for text inside the border. That should be interesting and I'll probably start another Thread for that.

Last edited:

FrankW

I discovered that if I make a shape, like a rectangle, specify No Fill and increase the line thickness and prefered corner radius, all I have to do is select the object and do an Arrange, Convert Stroke to Outline. When sent to the cutter this cuts the inside and outside boarders of the line. Fantastic!

You do not need to specify "No fill", you can just klick and delete the "fill rectangle" after converting stroke to outline.

There is an automatic way to do so, in the "Advanced tab" of the Cut/Plot-Window, "Convert strokes to outline", make sense if you have one time forgotten to convert it yourself (line thickness do not make ANY sense in plotting).

Now all I need to do is figure out how to get it to cut weed lines for text inside the border. That should be interesting and I'll probably start another Thread for that.

Automatic weed- and split lines don't work in "holes" of objects (had done that before, I think with 8.0, with automatic lines in holes of little letters too, now furtunately skipped), but you can add them manually. In the Cut/Plot-Window, in the preview of your job, do a right-click on the area you want to have a split line. A menu pops up which lets you add a horizontal or vertical split line. Once set, you can move this split line wherever you want, or right-click on it to delete it again. You can add of course multiple lines this way.

Do not resize after setting split lines, because resizing deletes the split lines. Works since 10.0.3 only.