• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Creating Direct Mailing List?

2B

have a customer who is wanting to do a direct mailout instead of an EDDM mailout.

there are MANY sites coming up on google that will generate a mailing list.
Mailing List - Mailing Lists - Mailing Lists by Zip Code | LeadsPlease seemed to offer the most options for selecting the desired demographics

Has anyone used one of these site? which one and was the information accurate?
OR
is there another was to create a mailing list that is used?

bannertime

You can use the postal service's EDDM database. Just tell them the zip codes. Bundle the product up and take it to the local PO. Haven't seen demographic list except for average income and business:residential ratio.

USPS.com

GB2

Old Member
You typically will have to buy mailing lists for direct mail, if your customer doesn't provide you with a list. Someone like Accudata is a good source but there seems to be an endless supply of list providers, you will want to deal with someone known to be reliable.

nanette

I have sent out direct mailers for my clients. Depending on whom you use for printing/mailing, they probably offer a demographic option list. If not, almost all lists come from the same source "infoUSA" , you can get a list from them and send it to your printer with your art files. I pass the cost right on to my client. If you go to infoUSA, talk to Danelle Knapp and tell her Nanette@alisoprint sent you.

equippaint

I use melissadata, its fairly inexpensive. We get a fair amount of returns, but with mailing lists you get what you pay for usually. We have a very specific clientele which makes it easier, all businesses, 10+ employees in certain SIC codes. Then I go through the lists 1 by 1. If I don't recognize the name, I google them. Very time consuming.
Direct mail is a business within itself if you want to do it right. It takes a lot of time to maintain the lists and really narrow down your target. With direct mail you need the center of the bulls-eye, all the outliers are a total waste of money. It sounds like that is what your customer is after with a targeted list. Make sure they know the ballgame or it will be like throwing money at radio ads or late tv commercials.