• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Creating new shortcuts in Illustrator

Windcalmer

The Branding Experts
I have been using Flexi for years now, and I am getting back into Illustrator after being out of that world for 15 years or so. My question is: Is there a way to add shortcuts to Illustrator for the align tool? I.E. to make it so that Ctrl+NumPad 5 = center object etc...

Thanks in advance.

Windcalmer

The Branding Experts
You can assign shortcuts there, however there is no option for the align tool. I was hoping for a solution for being able to actually add a command.

aGrainofSalt

I was just going to suggest an action. You can also write a script but that takes as long to select as the align buttons. Sorry that didn't help.

Evan Gillette

Like mentioned above, you could set up an action (I think you can find the actions panel under "windows") or make a custom toolbar for your favorite tools.One of the issues that you will probably run into is that you have to select a key object to align to (unless you are aligning to the art board). I too am learning illustrator after using flexi primarily. I really like flexi align shortcuts on the num pad, they actually make sense to me. After a short time in illustrator I have gotten used to using the align panel and its really just as fast if you have the monitor space to leave it open.

Evan Gillette

Another thing I have found really useful in learning illustrator are a couple courses here https://www.udemy.com/adobe-illustrator-cc-advanced-training/ they are super cheap (like $12 each if you leave them in your cart a couple days they drop half off). We watch a couple lessons over lunch break and learn a little more each day. Its nice because we know the theory and what we are effectively trying to do but dont quite know where all the tools and options are hiding.