• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Creative ways to make money with CNC

RiSun

We recently got a CNC machine. Looking for creative ways to make money with it! After all, if the machine isn't running - I'm not making any money!!!

Thanks in advance..

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Currently we’re cutting stencils out for spray paint floor graphics. Just stuff like “keep apart” Going great. Then when the paint runs out they come back for more!

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
Instagram, Pinterest, Etsy, etc all have lots of creative things to look at.
depending on axis control there are a ton of things that you can do.
when I get less creative I just look for ways to add lights to objects etc.
what kind of machine do you have?
those hand free hand sanitizer displays are pretty popular right now.
You can always look to donate some guards etc to local medical places.
sometimes donations are good for marketing/exposure and you never know what opportunity will present itself later because of it.

Making creative stuff with a CNC is a good hobby, but makes no money. I'd do sign trays, acrylic letters, plaques and such. The gift industry is pretty crowded thus makes no profit imho.

MikePro

never too late to pitch plexiglass dividers in your area, for coronavirus considerations upon reopening.
a lot of businesses in the service industry (nail salons, retail, reception areas) will be in need of 1/4" self-standing "spit shields" as most convenient places to order online are out of stock frequently.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
We recently got a CNC machine. Looking for creative ways to make money with it! After all, if the machine isn't running - I'm not making any money!!! Thanks in advance..

Imagine asking the same question after purchasing a new hammer, or a new circular saw. The question doesn't seem as appealing, does it?

I've been involved with NC/CNC since the early 80s...back when tool and die shops and production machine shops were the only ones who could afford to procure the technology.

Like it was back then, CNC still is...and will always be...."just a tool" (albeit a very important tool). It will be no more useful than the one whose skilled hands (and creative minds) put it to use.

If you're looking to copy the ideas on all those "crafty" web sites, prepare yourself for a bloodbath of bottom-feeders who are willing to pimp their machines (and their so-called talent) to the lowest bidder. It's no fun there...and fortunately, you do not have to go there.

Goal #1: Learn how to develop unique processes and build tooling that will make your current jobs go faster. Once you've got that accomplished look for contract work. I'm only 40 minutes from you, and I know as well as you do that there's a very large company in Archbold that could eventually use your services.

Remember, you're competing with dudes (and gals) that cut their teeth on NC machines that once ran on punched tape. But lucky for you, they all have limited capacity.

The money isn't with the crafty bunch, it's with the industrial crowd.

JB

Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Seems like a lot of work to make a nickel.
5cents.jpg

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
We recently got a CNC machine. Looking for creative ways to make money with it! After all, if the machine isn't running - I'm not making any money!!!

Thanks in advance..
What machine are you talking about as cnc is too vague.

Last edited:

Superior_Adam

never too late to pitch plexiglass dividers in your area, for coronavirus considerations upon reopening.
a lot of businesses in the service industry (nail salons, retail, reception areas) will be in need of 1/4" self-standing "spit shields" as most convenient places to order online are out of stock frequently.
This is a great idea if you can find acrylic. My main supplier is telling me September to get 3/16 and 1/4 back in stock.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
What job did you buy the CNC for? Assuming you had a reason/steady CNC income before you bought one? How much time does that take up per week?

Andy D

Currently we’re cutting stencils out for spray paint floor graphics. Just stuff like “keep apart” Going great. Then when the paint runs out they come back for more!

Also, Handicap stencils to paint the symbols in the parking lot is something I get asked for from time to time.

MGB_LE

Do you also have print capability? We print floor graphics and contour cut them, with a drag knife attachment. We have a flatbed cutter with router attachment and two other tool slots. If you're only able to route, maybe you can partner with a local print shop?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Imagine asking the same question after purchasing a new hammer, or a new circular saw. The question doesn't seem as appealing, does it?

I've been involved with NC/CNC since the early 80s...back when tool and die shops and production machine shops were the only ones who could afford to procure the technology.

Like it was back then, CNC still is...and will always be...."just a tool" (albeit a very important tool). It will be no more useful than the one whose skilled hands (and creative minds) put it to use.

If you're looking to copy the ideas on all those "crafty" web sites, prepare yourself for a bloodbath of bottom-feeders who are willing to pimp their machines (and their so-called talent) to the lowest bidder. It's no fun there...and fortunately, you do not have to go there.

Goal #1: Learn how to develop unique processes and build tooling that will make your current jobs go faster. Once you've got that accomplished look for contract work. I'm only 40 minutes from you, and I know as well as you do that there's a very large company in Archbold that could eventually use your services.

Remember, you're competing with dudes (and gals) that cut their teeth on NC machines that once ran on punched tape. But lucky for you, they all have limited capacity.

The money isn't with the crafty bunch, it's with the industrial crowd.

JB
Yep....just like what happened when the small affordable vinyl cutters (a la Cricut) came out. Everyone and their sister were making "custom" decals and totally devalued the work we all do. Not worth the effort unless you have a brilliant business plan for selling that kind of stuff.

gnubler

Yep....just like what happened when the small affordable vinyl cutters (a la Cricut) came out. Everyone and their sister were making "custom" decals and totally devalued the work we all do. Not worth the effort unless you have a brilliant business plan for selling that kind of stuff.
Same thing happened to graphic designers in the print world when Canva and Vistaprint became the new go-to for DIY designers. The files I get are eye-watering, to say the least. Usually rage-inducing.