• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Credit card keeps getting hacked

Jean Shimp

Since January I've had my credit cards shut down 3 times. I only use these cards for business purchases. Fortunately the bank is able to spot a questionable charge and does not process it so I am out no money. But then I have to wait 2 - 5 biz days for a new card and then the bookkeeping hassles not to mention changing my automatic payment accounts to a new card number. I switched banks 3 months ago hoping part of the problem was on the bank's end. But now it's happened on my new account. I'm looking for suggestions on how to avoid this hacking problem.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Stop using credit cards ??

I have one..... and it's used for gasoline & diesel purchases.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I have been frauded about 5 times in the last 6 or 7 years. it is a pain to have to switch your autopay credit cards. to get around this i have one card that has my auto pays and i don't use it for anything else. it doesn't get hit. i then have multiple other cards going for everything else, if one goes down, i still have the others going.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Have you visited a similar restaurant or fast food establishment frequently where the person takes your card to swipe it? They could be carrying one of those portable card scanners that steals card info. I believe this happened to me once. I no longer let a waiter or employee take my card where I cannot see them swipe the card. I only pay cash at restaurants now. I don't let the fast food employee take my card

Or perhaps you have a vendor that is not trustworthy? I no longer store customer card info anymore

visual800

wanna stop getting hacked, stop using cards. Matters not where number is obtained its going to happen again and again. There is nothing you can do about it

rossmosh

1. Are you punching in your CC information on your computer? If so, you might have a "virus" that is grabbing your info.
2. Are you using secure websites when giving your your CC info?
3. Is your email secure and are you including your CC info in emails to people? I'd recommend changing your password and not including CC info in emails. It's a very bad idea.
4. Look at who you're giving your CC info to. Sounds like you might be giving the numbers to a bad egg or someone is scanning your card and stealing the info.
5. Make sure your card has the new chip. It should make stealing your info more difficult.

If I had to guess, it sounds like it's either someone you do business with, your computer being compromised, or your email being compromised.

Romney

Do you have any employees that have unrestricted access to the card? What is being purchased and from where? It is unlikely but 100% possible your CC could be in the wrong hands unless of course your the only person that has access.

Vinyldog

My CC number was stolen and being used to buy common things like groceries etc. That suggest they have figured out a way to imprint a card with my information.
And likewise, it was the card I used for business purchases.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
credit card hacked

we had a good client whose amex got hacked 3 or 4 times last year. they made us change antivirus software, change encryption on the mail server, etc. finally, hack number 5 occurred before he even received the new card. they finally admitted that there was a problem at their end.

they would have been happy making up things to keep us busy forever, if the 5th time hadn't happened so quickly

multiple hacks for the same card company makes me very suspicious

My CC number was stolen and being used to buy common things like groceries etc. That suggest they have figured out a way to imprint a card with my information.
And likewise, it was the card I used for business purchases.

decalman

Hacker's booby trap you usually through your email. It's done very sneaky. An email with an attachment from a seemingly very trustworthy source. You open it and like a silent cancer a keylogger, Trojan, spyware stealthily latches itself in your system. It records all your keystrokes. Sinister, and diobolical intrusion.
Everything' you type gets collected and transfers over to the hacker. Passwords are a joke if you got a malware. As soon *** you set up a complex and long PS, it goes to Mr. Hacker, and he surely has your smartphone hacked also.

One solution to get rid of the Trojan is...reset computer back to factory., Or pay up the Ying Yang to a repair person.
Or get another computer, that NEVER opens an email.Use it to change passwords. Long 10 digits, upper case & lower.
?yY432avH75 is a good one.

decalman

Hacker's booby trap you usually through your email. It's done very sneaky. An email with an attachment from a seemingly very trustworthy source. You open it and like a silent cancer a keylogger, Trojan, spyware stealthily latches itself in your system. It records all your keystrokes. Sinister, and diobolical intrusion.

Everything' you type gets collected and transfers over to the hacker. Passwords are a joke if you got a malware. As soon as you set up a complex and long PS, it goes to Mr. Hacker, and he surely has your smartphone hacked also.

Even if your off line your keystrokes and screenshots are recorded.When you go online,all your business goes to the hacker, and yes, your getting sucked out of data. Theft on theft.

One solution to get rid of the Trojan is...reset computer back to factory., Or pay up the Ying Yang to a repair person.
Or get another computer, that NEVER opens an email.Use it to change passwords. Use the contaminated computer to open email s and whatever.
Use. Long 10 digits, upper case & lower
?yY432avH75 is a good one.

ams

Many websites are fraud or some sell your information, make sure you are buying things only from legit websites, make sure it is a protected website with an update to date security certificate. Otherwise it may have a keylogger on your computer grabbing the information.

By the way if a prince emails you and wants to give you a couple million dollars, don't fall into temptation!

JJM7288

My CC has been hacked three times in ninty days, always after ordering online from a well known sign business supplier. We reopened our account with them and hope their accounting department is on the ball now.

JoeSchmoe

Download ( Hitman Pro )

Since January I've had my credit cards shut down 3 times. I only use these cards for business purchases. Fortunately the bank is able to spot a questionable charge and does not process it so I am out no money. But then I have to wait 2 - 5 biz days for a new card and then the bookkeeping hassles not to mention changing my automatic payment accounts to a new card number. I switched banks 3 months ago hoping part of the problem was on the bank's end. But now it's happened on my new account. I'm looking for suggestions on how to avoid this hacking problem.

I see this is an old post but for others having this problem I'd suggest you Download ( Hitman Pro ) and run a scan if you have a PC. Might try the free version of Malware Bytes too. What I use is a Chase Bank Liquid Credit for online purchases with suppliers, amazon, ebay etc etc. It have to put money on it for it to work. As long as I don't put lots of money on it they won't get much if I am hacked.

Jean Shimp

My CC has been hacked three times in ninty days, always after ordering online from a well known sign business supplier. We reopened our account with them and hope their accounting department is on the ball now.

Hmmm...that's what I was wondering too. I use a couple of sign suppliers on a regular basis and was wondering if one of them was the culprit. Judging by the responses to this posting in this forum it doesn't appear that this is a widespread problem (yet) with other sign companies.