• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Curled Foam Core

JayVal

Do any of you experienced community members know how to combat this?

Pre-curl prevantative measures? Post-curl de-curling techniques?

I had to take a call and I came back to find my board was no longer flat. There was nothing printed or applied to this. And yes, before I get called out on this, the board really was flat before I stepped away.

I will also accept replies on how much of a pain foam core is to work with, because I'm not very fond of the material...

Thanks!

Attachments

• FoamCoreCurl.jpg
    FoamCoreCurl.jpg
    935 KB · Views: 329
Do any of you experienced community members know how to combat this?

Pre-curl prevantative measures? Post-curl de-curling techniques?

I had to take a call and I came back to find my board was no longer flat. There was nothing printed or applied to this. And yes, before I get called out on this, the board really was flat before I stepped away.

I will also accept replies on how much of a pain foam core is to work with, because I'm not very fond of the material...

Thanks!
Yeah same thing happened to me

Bly

We've moved to Dispa board instead of 5mm foamcore.
Stays way flatter and prints better.

JayVal

Is it super damp or humid?

Humidity.... flip the board over and let it sit.
Pretty dry in the shop today. Now that I think about it, could it be heat? There's a heater 20-30ft at the top of the shop bay I work in....

Haven't heard of that yet. I will see if we have that available from our suppliers.

Humidity.... flip the board over and let it sit.
I'll try this again... I lost patience when I tried this. lol

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We did the display for one of the sponsors of a marathon here (posters on easels & hanging boards) . Set up the night before in huge tent with AC, a 100 yards or so from the beach..We did all our stuff on smooth pvc. Most everyone else used foam board. Event guys shut down the AC for the night & the next morning there was moisture dripping off the canvas from the humidity. All the foam boards had curled into C shapes on the ink side. We looked like we really knew what we were doing even though the reason we used pvc was our hate for working with foam board.

JayVal

We did the display for one of the sponsors of a marathon here (posters on easels & hanging boards) . Set up the night before in huge tent with AC, a 100 yards or so from the beach..We did all our stuff on smooth pvc. Most everyone else used foam board. Event guys shut down the AC for the night & the next morning there was moisture dripping off the canvas from the humidity. All the foam boards had curled into C shapes on the ink side. We looked like we really knew what we were doing even though the reason we used pvc was our hate for working with foam board.
This is an inspiring story that validates my ever growing dislike towards foam board! Thank you for sharing!

This happens to our spoil boards all the time. Seems to lay flat when it's cool in the shop, Once the shop starts to heat a little the moisture leaves the surface much faster then the bottom that is covered. We have found no way to prevent it. When it starts to get bad we flip the table. I would imagine you are experiencing something similar due to the heat of the lamp.

flyplainsdrifta

In my experience, aint much you can do for that stuff. anything with a paper face will expand and contract depending on heat and humidity. Even small relative changes can influence the board. Doing 2 sided prints on the stuff is nerve-racking to say the least.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Ok...so when it's laying on the table, which way does it curl? Belly side up? Or belly side down?

JB

dypinc

"DISPA® delivers everything you would expect from a sign and display board – flat, smooth surface, excellent printability, rigidity and stability – and a unique design made of 100% paper and so DISPA® is fully recyclable."

100% paper and it doesn't warp????

visual800

we dont use formboard anymore because of this. for your humor a very long time ago I sprayed a 4x8 foamboard with black ons shot and layed it OUTSIDE on a table in the sun to dry. I cannot express this thing almost rolled itself into a damn tube lol. I like foam board but I just dont mess with it

Bly

"DISPA® delivers everything you would expect from a sign and display board – flat, smooth surface, excellent printability, rigidity and stability – and a unique design made of 100% paper and so DISPA® is fully recyclable."

100% paper and it doesn't warp????

That's right. Even printing on a flatbed with hot lamps.
3A Composites don't tend to make false claims.