• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Curved aluminum

CanuckSigns

I'm hoping someone can give me a few pointers, we are in the process of bidding on a project for a local university, they want a wall honouring alumni who have graduated and become successful. The right side of the wall (black) will have etched acrylic panels on stand-offs, which i have no problem with.

The right side of the wall is giving me issues, they are requesting it be a slightly curved, brushed aluminum finish, with acrylic letters attached. it is about 2' wide x 4' tall with a slight curve (about 2" in the centre)

Can any one shed some light on how to create this curve without having any visible fasteners? it can be completely separate from the black section, as long as it looks nice when it comes together. I've considered bending dibond over a frame of some sort, but i still can't get past the no visible fasteners aspect.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 110

rubo

I don't think you could curve dibond that much - I would find a sheet metal shop capable of bending the alum sheet to your specs, make a frame with the same curve radius, attach - that is, after you made the sign.

CanuckSigns

Bending is not what has me stumped, it's how to fasten the finished product flush on the wall with no visible fasteners.

player

3M double sided foam tape is used to stick airplanes together. I think it would handle you requirements.

DigiPrinter

1/8" aluminum rolled to shape and painted MAP Brushed Aluminum. Stud welded on the back and installed. The studs can be placed 3" in from the ends and there's no worries about the rigidity of the panel cause 1/8" is going to be beefy enough. Pattern your stud holes on the wall, pre-drill, silicone the studs with a decent amount of silicone and push into place......done! Took me 15 minutes to install :)

player

Care to explain how you would stick a curved panel to a flat wall using only vhb tape....? I do agree that 3M makes great aircraft quality adhesives (we use them) but don't think that's the answer here. Even with a flat 2'x4' panel with acrylic letters, I'd be surprised to see more recommendations to use only tape.

(think liability)

In addition to a frame as explained by others. The tape could replace screws and brackets.

It was an idea.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I would manufacture it with a couple of cleats.

You could stud-mount it, but that poses two potential issues:

- You would be attaching studs to a curved surface.
- Studs don't allow for any adjustment. If you use a cleat, you can slide it so it butts up directly against the adjacent panel.