• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Custom Branded Bathroom sign

SignGuy45212

Printing, Engraving, CNC Routing
How do you price the added Braille to a sign?

Long version:
I have a small branded restroom sign, we'll say it's a $20 sign.
What costs should I add to the sign for added Braille "Restroom" ?

CanuckSigns

We use the same method. How do you normally price this?

For a single sign, we would be around $30 to add the braille, unless its for a good client, then we would reduce the cost.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We get 9x9 Bathroom signs with printed Tactile and Braille for $67/ea on other jobs with brushed aluminum and stainless beads we get $157/ea.

Braille if done right, is not a commodity; it is a specialty. Just remember if you have braille you typically are required to have tactile pictograms and/or text.

CanuckSigns

Kindly price it as you like, but keep in mind if you price it too low, the customer may expect this same pricing in the future, and you don't want to p*ss off a client by doing them a favor here.
$30 to add the braille? I suppose so if it's a one off, but our typical bathroom sign batched into a big order, 9"x6", braille, pictograms and raised copy, cost $43 total. If I was already selling a one off sign that size, it would probably be about $125, with or without braille, depending on logo intricacies etc.

In the original post he said it was a $20 so I assume he's putting it on a mass produced standard washroom sign.

If it was a sign we were making, adding the braille would be a $15 up charge on a one off, if there is quantity it would be $8 extra.

The bigger question is, how do you have the equipment to make braille signs, but not know what to charge for it?

MJ-507

Master of my domain.
We get 9x9 Bathroom signs with printed Tactile and Braille for $67/ea on other jobs with brushed aluminum and stainless beads we get $157/ea.

Braille if done right, is not a commodity; it is a specialty. Just remember if you have braille you typically are required to have tactile pictograms and/or text.

Pictograms, per the 2010 Accessibility Guidelines, are not required to be tactile. The only mandates for pictograms are that they must be in a field w/ a minimum height of 6", there can not be any characters or braille in said field & they must have proper contrast w/ a non-glare finish (including the field). The only item that must be tactile is a text descriptor which must be located directly below the pictogram.

Last edited:

Christian @ 2CT Media

Pictograms, per the 2010 Accessibility Guidelines, are not required to be tactile. The only mandates for pictograms are that they must be in a field w/ a minimum height of 6", there can not be any characters or braille in said field & they must have proper contrast w/ a non-glare finish (including the field). The only item that must be tactile is a text descriptor which must be located directly below the pictogram.
Hence my and/or statement. Here in AZ there are situations where you can have just a Pictogram and braille with no text. In that case, the pictogram must be tactile.

MJ-507

Master of my domain.
Hence my and/or statement. Here in AZ there are situations where you can have just a Pictogram and braille with no text. In that case, the pictogram must be tactile.

I guess I should have been more specific and prefaced my comment by saying "Federal law; i.e. the Americans with Disabilities (ADA) Act of 1990 (most recently updated in 2010), as noted in the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design, does not require pictograms to be tactile."

Besides California, I've never encountered any municipalities that have had their own supplemental regulations/laws for ADA-compliant signage for building interiors. I'm sure they exist but I have yet to come across any. I've even done work in Arizona (maybe 6-7 years ago) and was never asked to follow any guidelines besides the 2010 ADA. I've started assembling a set of state/county/city-specific signage laws for me & the rest of the designers I manage to reference. Can you either email the AZ code - which I obviously don't have - or point me in the right direction as to where I might obtain the code? Working in AZ you obviously will know better than I do as to what's required in your state. I just learned my new thing for today - can I go back to bed now? :) I actually learned two things: that AZ has regulations I need to follow on my next project there & that I need to do a better job with my due diligence when working on projects in other states.

I appreciate your clarification!

MJ.

SignGuy45212

Printing, Engraving, CNC Routing
The bigger question is, how do you have the equipment to make braille signs, but not know what to charge for it?

It's a new piece of equipment for us, and we're learning to use it, and we don't have a solid method to figuring pricing for it.
I'm all ears if you have a standard here.