• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Custom cut Signabond or Dibond

Graphics2u

Does anyone have suggestion on merchant member if there is one who cuts custom shapes from 3mm signabond? Have you done this? Is it difficult?

I have had some custom panels cut out of this material by a shop with a Gerber Router. He doesn't really want to cut anymore because it is too hard to cut and difficult to clean up edges. Well I like using the material and was wondering what options I have.

any suggestions?

Graphics2u

too hard to cut? it cuts like butter...
That's what I thought. I think it's that he never really cut it before I asked him too, and he doesn't like the aluminum on it. He's retired and does this part time from home. I really like him and he always gets to my stuff quick, but if he doesn't want to do this I'll have to find another source.

jhanson

If it was too hard for him to cut, it's because he's using the wrong bits. You need to use aluminum bits with Dibond; ordinary plastic or wood routing bits won't cut properly.

Typestries

I agree. We even cut squares and rectangles on the router over the panel saw. If a machine can do it better than a human why not. If your source is local tell him to check out the onsrud 63 series bits. Cut like the stuff like butter.

eforer

Routing Dibond, omegabond, econopanel etc. is about the easiest thing in the world to route. I would find another local vendor because anyone should be able to do this no problem. We pretty much have a multicam dedicated to cutting dibond at all times.

Graphics2u

Thanks for all the replies! So should there be a lot of cleaning up the edges after the cut is made? Or should it be pretty smooth?

fixtureman

I love cutting that stuff. People think it is hard to cut but like they said if you have the right bit it cuts like butter.

jhanson

If the correct bit is used, the edge should be nice and clean. We cut Dibond all the time on our Esko router and rarely ever have to clean it.

J

john1

I have a vendor route my 3mm dibond sign jobs and it cuts pretty darn clean. All i ever do is run down a wet rag around the edges to get the small frays off which are few and far between and that's it.

GB2

Old Member
OK, so I cut DiBond all the time with no problem just using a regular 2flute upcut spiral bit but for those saying you need the right bit for perfect results, what bit are you using?

dman0427

^
I'm interested in finding out bits and feed rates & spindle speed everyone is using. I've got a method that works pretty well, but the more info on this the better!

I us a single flute up cut for the stuff and it works well, until its time to change the bit.

jhanson

OK, so I cut DiBond all the time with no problem just using a regular 2flute upcut spiral bit but for those saying you need the right bit for perfect results, what bit are you using?

What I meant was that you don't really want to use a wood bit to cut Dibond. You should use either a multipurpose or soft metal bit. Soft metal is better for straight cuts in large quantities, while multipurpose bits like V-bits let you do partial cuts for making bends in the Dibond.

The condition of the bit matters as well. Some operators will continue to use broken bits, with terrible results.

At the end of the day, this is all basic stuff. Any good operator with any CNC router can cut Dibond all day long. It's mainly a matter of finding someone who knows what they're doing.

Mosh

I shear it, I jig saw it, I route it. That stuff is easy to work with. You must be a PITA to him. Same reason I no longer do sub work for other shops, they always think they should be at the front of the line and pay half as much!

Graphics2u

I shear it, I jig saw it, I route it. That stuff is easy to work with. You must be a PITA to him. Same reason I no longer do sub work for other shops, they always think they should be at the front of the line and pay half as much!

:helpI like how you have no idea of the relationship between myself and this supplier, yet you can come to the conclusion I'm a pain, expect my jobs to be done first and don't want to pay for anything.