• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Custom hole puncher

StickerBee

Hey guys,

I got a contract to mass-produce this kind of sign but I am wondering what is the easy way to make the hole in the photo or hanger hole?

Thank you so much!

Please advise.

Attachments

• CWS000main.jpg
    CWS000main.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 362

bannertime

Send off an Engineering Detail Drawing to a tool or die maker. Then get something like an arbor press and die setup to use the new custom die.

Or ask Stouse about custom quoting some mirror hang tags.

shoresigns

I'd probably try a hole cutter drill bit to cut the circle, then two diagonal knife strokes to the top edge. Or find someone who can CNC them for you.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Almost 40 years experience as a tool and die maker here....

A steel rule die (rather inexpensive) and a clicker press (expensive) is what you need. An arbor press would also work, but you'd have to make a base plate to help you position the stock.

Kensol made a manually operated foil stamping press years ago and quite a few are still around. If you could find one, that would work the best for what you're trying to do.

I have one identical to the one in this photo that I use for die cutting, foil stamping and creasing. Conventional hard tooling (punch and die) would be terribly expensive.

Check eBay.

You also might want to check with a plastic injection molding company near you. They use hot stamping machines and might be able to set up a steel rule die and cut them for you. No heat will be required to to cut the coro.

JB

k.jpg

Last edited:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
When you say Mass produce - what quantity? I would lay them out for a sheet of coro, set up registration marks for a C&C router. print on the uv flat bed and send it over to the router to be cut. (I usually tape them to protect the artwork during cutting). If you don't have one, can you find someone that does that and sub it out? We have a guy down the street with routers - that's what they do. We are lucky to have a relationship with them, and they can do our often-piddly projects - not like what they normally do. I would print them then cut them is my point.

2B

outsource,
there are plenty of MM here who can flatbed imprint and then use a CNC or a flatbed cutter.

regarding the material,
* why Cor-Plast?
* how long you want them to last? you put plastic in direct sunlight inside of a window.
* will the rearview mirror take the weight?

2B

The dash and all interior elements are plastic. Auto windows are UV blocking to a degree.

JB

Correct, and that plastic is designed for that application.
the UV is not the main factor, it is the heat. As a TX native, the sun through a window has ruined more than one pair of sunglasses (also plastic) left on the dash

CorPast is outdoor rated, but it warps under direct heat

Andy D

I think if I were going through the trouble to create a cutting die, I would have the whole thing
die cut at once to avoid having to round all those corners.

ikarasu

How many are we talking?

As others mentioned... We'd likely print, then CNC them out. Or create a die and use our press to stamp them.

If you're not doing thousands...and you're just looking for the cheapest way... Make a router jig and route the shape out.
I wouldn't want to do it to hundreds of them... but it might be your best bet.

I presume since you dont have a flatbed, you're going to be printing on vinyl, applying it, then cutting it to size, clipping the corners, then cutting the hole? if so, it's going to be very time consuming and you likely wont make any proffit... I'd look into outsourcing them.

jimbug72

If you can't print via flatbed or screen print and cut on CNC or die press, or outsource the job entirely then you're probably going to end up regretting excepting a contract to mass produce these.

Not trying to poo poo your parade but after a quick google image search for "coroplast windshield signs" I found a company selling the same image as you posted and they are charging $8.95 for a 24" x 12" sign. I don't know if you are trying to compete with those prices but if you are doing these by hand at a "competitive" price you and your client will probably walk away from this deal frustrated.

If you can't outsource, don't have access to any of the aforementioned equipment but your client is willing to pay you an appropriate price per for these to be done by hand with vinyl, then I'd say set your vinyl up with a mark for the slot and have someone make you a die punch that you can smack with a hammer.

Otherwise I'd say find an outsource or walk away from this one.